Trumpet Discussion Discuss Improving single tongueing in the General forums; Any tips on how to improve this?...
    Pianissimo User

Improving single tongueing

Any tips on how to improve this?
    "It's Mctrumpet ya know like Mcdonalds and Mclovin?"

King Silver Flair 2055t
    Monette B4S
    Yamaha Student Advantage (marching horn)

Casper, WY

Re: Improving single tongueing

My single tonguing progressed nicely with practice about a year ago. Single tongued each page 175+ in Arban's the TK section as part of TK'ing practice: single tongue slowly then fast -- same with TK. Had K tonguing thrown in too.

The MM markings went into the margin. No fudging either: at whatever turned out to be fast, it had to be clean, even, and sounding good. When I offended, I decreased the speed.

Kept at it for 3 months+ singlemindedly. Had I kept it up for the entire past year, my intervallic TK'ing might be passable. It is not. But scalic TK'ing and single tonguing improved nicely. Really quite a bit. Was won of those "fun" practice battles that I won :)

Being obsessive and nit-picky about it helps.

Boston, MA

Chris Gekker's book "Articulation studies" is probably the single best text on this. It's a treasure trove of excellent exercises.

Piano User Bloomin Untidy Musician's Avatar

Is that book based around Anchor tonguing or using the "Arban tip method"? Although this might sound ridiculous, does it come with a CD so you can hear the various articulations?

Piano User

The Gekker book isn't based around any particular tonguing method. He may talk about one or the other in the preface but I don't recall. The objective is to solidify whatever type of tonguing you use into a clear, reliable technical tool. The exercises, if practiced carefully, diligently, and methodically, do a good job of this. It doesn't come with CD and I don't know of any method book that has what you were describing. My best recommendation would be to listen to recordings of players who you know use the various tonguing methods. Ghitalla and Ray Mase come to mind for anchor-tonguing, though I'm not positive if Ghitalla always used it. I think what you'd find if you do this, however, is that good articulation is good articulation and one can use whatever method works best for them to achieve it.

LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC

"Shrubruks set-up drills" are amazing and really get you into that forward position while improving accuracy and security. they involve removing the horn from your face in between each unrelated pitch, and you can take them as high as you want. Dont think the book is in print any more, i can send you the page if you PM me.

There is only one solution and you already know what it is. Arban had exercizes that were more than "good enough" 160 years ago. Clarke had it down 100 years ago, Schlossberg 50 and thanks to the desktop publishing revolution there are tons of methods that all have exactly the same approach: systematic practice and no free lunch.

It makes absolutely no difference if you use one method over another. Start today, tomorrow one will put it off again until the day after............
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information