Trumpet Discussion Discuss Increasing endurance and practice time in the General forums; Hi, after all the help you've given me, I've solved the problem of the high notes on my new mouthpiece. ...
    New Friend

Question Increasing endurance and practice time

Hi, after all the help you've given me, I've solved the problem of the high notes on my new mouthpiece. However, there is another problem. While I can play my range again, I can only do this for about ten minutes after I am warmed up. After that, I begin losing range and tone. My question is: how do I build up the endurance? I can't practice anymore than twenty minutes because I cannot play well anymore at that time. How do I increase the limit my lips can take of stress? Any exercises, practice techniques, etc.? Thanks for the help!!!

Pianissimo User

Re: Increasing endurance and practice time

The 1st week Practice 15 minutes, Break for 10, Play for 20, Break for 10, play for 15.
    the 2nd week Practice for 25 minutes, break for 10, play for 30, break for ten, play for 25
    The 3rd week play for 35 Minutes..........break 10........
    The 4th week play for 45........Break 10......Play 45....Break 10
    EVERYDAY!! This it the time. You need to also know WHAT to practice. (And by break I mean Music theory time)
    The secret is to break when your lips start feeling overly worked. Focus on playing Music and not just notes.

Cheers, Hope this helps
    Jason
    "The Horn is just an Amplifier, The person makes the beautiful music"

========================================
    Benge 90B,
    64 Olds Ambassador mod.,
    65ish Olds Ambassador Cornet
    Conn 1050b (My 1st Trumpet)

Wishlist: (Let me know If you have played one)
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 Signature
    Kanstul ZKT 1500A Signature
    Phaeton FX Antique Brushed Finish

Pianissimo User

Re: Increasing endurance and practice time

Haha, I'm going to start sounding pretty repetitive, however Cat Anderson's 20G/20C has done wonders for my endurance already so far.

It involves playing second-line G for twenty minutes straight only stopping to breathe. Resting for ten minutes, and then playing second-space C for twenty minutes straight only stopping to breathe. Make sure to play both of these notes as quiet as you can. If you can give yourself a reference point (maybe watching TV while you play these exercises on a low-volume setting) then you'll have much more success. If you feel like you cannot make the 20C right after doing 20G for the first time, then don't sweat it. Try again the next day. I didn't start doing the "full" exercise until the fourth day just because I couldn't take it.

If you want even more endurance, you could do one of two things: play long making it 30G/30C (or longer if need be) -or- (and I don't recommend this yet since I haven't tried it at all) you could try taking it up an octave. G sitting on the staff and second-ledger C. Experiment, see what works for you!

Thread Information