Trumpet Discussion Discuss Incredible BBBC concert last night in the General forums; My wife and other friends and family members regularly attend the Brass Band of Battle Creek concerts there at Kellogg ...
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

Incredible BBBC concert last night

My wife and other friends and family members regularly attend the Brass Band of Battle Creek concerts there at Kellogg Auditorium last nite's was remarkable in every way to a sell-out crowd.

The director for the date was Richard Evans, esteemed British condutor and Scotsman, dressed for the occaision in full highland kit. special guest musician was his friend of many years, Maurice Murphy on trumpet late of a long career as principal of the London Symphony Orchestra for 30 yrs. Rex Richardson ably filled the soprano chair vacated the retired Peter Roberts.

The concert opened with a stirring rendition of the Overture to "Lawrence of Arabia/" The concert featured compositions of John Williams and movie music in general.

March from "Midway" was next, followed by a beautiful rendition of "Born on the Fourth of July" featuring Rich Kelley's evocative cornet soloing.

The exciting theme from " Silverado" followed, which I hadn't heard
    Stan Kenton's beautiful arrangement of "Tonight" from West Side Story followed , very lush brass playing.

Baba Yaga/Great Gate of Kiev closed out the first half. What power!

2nd half started with the "Imperial March" from Star Wars. Mr Murphy played on the original sound track in 1977.

Martin Armstrong, principal tenor horn of Grimethorpe played the standard brass band arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" very nicely.

The incredible technical Scherzo from Shostakovich's 10th Symphony was amazing.

An intimate rendition of "When I Fall In Love" with Jens Lindemann on fluegel, Wycliffe Gordeon on muted bone, Marty Erickson on tuba, and Dave Ratajczak on brushes made a great change of pace.

Concert ended with a rendition of John William Trilogy with Maurice Murphy on lead parts. Beautiful tone and control.

Encore of "Sing Sing Sing" with memorable solos by Rex Richardson, and interplay by Wycliffe Gordon and Chris Jaudes capped a memorable evening.

The BBBC is leaving for Florida now for a 2 city concert tour and is to play a concert on Aug 17 in Millenium Park in Chicago.
    Last edited by MFfan; 03-10-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

Re: Incredible BBBC concert last night

BBBC always blows me away. I was there last night, also. How they can remain a relative secret, when every person on the stage has the talent to be that night's guest soloist is beyond me.

I had peeked at their web site (BBBC - Home Page) for the program and was most looking forward to "Gonna Fly Now". Certainly great. I had hoped that Chris Jaudes would be the soloist on that piece (heard him at the Michigan State football homecoming half time show as guest artist in their Maynard Ferguson tribute) and his solo work didn't disappoint. So high and such control!

I was pleasantly surprised by "When I Fall in Love" with only Lindemann, Gordon, Erickson and Rataczak playing, not that I ever expect anything less than "amazing" from BBBC, but to hear such a small group sound so wonderful.... definitely the highlight for me.

Not only can they be seen in Florida, they will be in Chicago in August. See, or rather, hear them, if you can! They also have several CDs available on their site (I have no connection to BBBC, other than being a fan).

I have great fun taking friends who have never heard of them to the concerts. Many expect something similar to a Battle Creek Community Band.... always a treat to see their reaction after the first song!

Thread Information