Trumpet Discussion Discuss Individual Study Materials - Books? Videos? in the General forums; Hello! I hope this is OK to post as I realize there is a discussion on self-teaching the trumpet, but ...
    New Friend

Individual Study Materials - Books? Videos?

Hello! I hope this is OK to post as I realize there is a discussion on self-teaching the trumpet, but I am looking for more specifics. My daughter is just finishing up her second year in junior high band. She is doing great (All-Region, top brass award, first chair, etc.). I am looking for some supplemental stuff she can do over the summer on her own (although she is going to band camp for a week). Are there any specific books or videos that are recommended? I've printed off the first few pages of the Arban book. Is that OK for her to work through alone? Thanks!

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Individual Study Materials - Books? Videos?

IMO, Arban's is a great resource to work with now and the rest of her life. The one point I make is it doesn't seem progressive vis step 1,2,3 etc. PS - I'm now 79 yo and it is still part of my daily practice regimen as it has been since about my freshman year in high school ... except for a 40 year plus lapse.

Get the Clarke Technical Studies book, and have her focus on just exercises 1 and 2, and the accompanying etudes that go with them. Those two exercises all by themselves are fantastic resources. She doesn't even have to get too involved in all of the keys - I'd tend to think that up to 4 sharps and flats will take her beyond where most of her peers are.

The problem with a lot of these kinds of things is that they tend to be boring for kids who want to do more than just do exercises.

It would also help to know a bit more about where she is as a player - what her reading capability is, her level of comprehension of written rhythm, what she knows about dynamic markings and musical notation in terms of the Italian terms used, as well as where she is in terms of sound production, cleanliness of articulation, range and endurance.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

South Salem, NY

Give her a (summer) break from formal education and get her a whole heap of tunes that she can play. Some examples here from my store Publications and there are certainly many others available.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Thread Information