Trumpet Discussion Discuss Inspiring trumpet stories! in the General forums; Hey all, Anyone have any times to share when you worked really hard or did something great that was difficult?...
    Pianissimo User
    West virginia

Inspiring trumpet stories!

Hey all,

Anyone have any times to share when you worked really hard or did something great that was difficult?

Re: Inspiring trumpet stories!

Went for a row last Sunday with lesson from daughters coach in mind.
    Arrived at club to find Ravens next door boat shed where a rower short for the 4
    ie. 1 blade per person, no cox. New experience.

Went along for the ride with university boys half my age and sort of pulled my weight.
    Bubbles under the hull mean boat has speed so grinning from ear to ear carried on pulling
    as hard as possible for as long as possible err... maybe 600m or so before we ran out of track and legs.

Why the waffle? Oh yes, went home and played trumpet better than ever. I think one good thing led to another.

Should have a good inspirational story for end of month as Chris Botti will be arriving at end of August so can't wait. No reserved seating so intend getting to the venue at least 3 hrs before the show. For Teds information I see Mr Botti goes to Australia in September.

The Wide Brown Land

Thanks Paul,

I'll keep my eyes and ears open - that might be a good target for the #1 1st Best Wife's birthday .

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Piano User
    Gold Coast - 805

Hope this Qualifies !!

Hello All

I would like to share an experiance that I hope may shed some light on THE LESSON !!

First off with out putting my life story out here and boring you let me just say that I came from very humble beginnings, I grew up in farm labor camps around the Ventura County, CA area, my parents where migrant field workers who toiled there whole life until there death, I was 13 at the time.
    Let me say here that before my mother died she bought me a Trumpet on one of those rent as you buy programs from a local music store after I bugged her that I wanted to play like Louis Armstrong.

Since both of my parents died within 9 months of each other and me being the only child, lets just say that I grew up in the streets with nothing but my trumpet and the cloths on my back.
    Within this back drop I managed with the help of my friends to start a Band called "The Shades of Brown" Latin and Soul Sounds. on or about the age of 15.
    Playing for Weddings, Parties, Quinceanera's and various other events I managed to rake in enough cash to get me through some tough times until I joined the United States Air Force in 1974.

Now after a 35 year layoff from playing I started my Comeback in Sept. 2009.

Well I took "THE LESSON" and this is it.
    I was nervous about this lesson, I approched the door of this house and as I knocked I almost had second thoughts like "What are you doing here? " thoughts. In any case the door opened ther there stood my teacher with a cigar in his hand. I introduced my self and he greeted me with warmth and style. He motioned me to go into the back room and warm up as he was finishing something up. I passed a grand piano and entered the room, where my eyes where amazed at the professional nature of the room.
    Man I was nervous!! I slowly unpacked my Selmer and started to warm up. My teacher obviously could hear me as my quivering notes sounded all the time still nervous. By the time he entered the room the nerves where gone and I proceeded to tell my teacher alittle about myself and what my goals are, my goals? just to be able to play the best that I can.

As we proceeded it was very obvious to me and I'm sure to him that I had alot of faults and hard work ahead of me. He listened, gave me direction, and then demonstrated how each excerise should be done.

He explained some things that I had read about in books and in forums, but it never quite hit more then his demonstration of them.
    In one example he was explaining to me the very 1st line of the Clarke Studies, he pointed to the verbage and if my memory serves me correctly something to the effect of play it 6 to 8 times in one breath.
    I commented that it seemed like alot to me.
    Then he demonstrated it, he did it 20 times on one breath, I was amazed !!
    All in all he was very patient with me, explaned things in manner that I could understand and corrected me in a kind manner as well, never did I feel un-comfortable as he spoke.

He gave some excerises to do from various books plus some that he himself wrote on my pad I had taken for notes.

As my lesson ended once again he was very gracious in his manner and demeaner with a quality that surpassed my wildest dreams.

I have alot of work ahead of me but this time around I have have found new inspiration not so much to become a Professional but for the music. I look forward to the day that I can once again get on stage and express myself through my trumpet with quality of sound.

He may not be fully aware of what he has done allowing myself, a son of migrant field workers who never would have thought in his life to have experianced this LESSON of a life time.

To my teacher, if you read this I would like to Thank You so much for my experiance with you, I have been blessed to meet a true master.

I share this with all of you who aspire to express yourselfs via your instrument, that no matter what back ground you have in music, no matter what level, no matter where you came from, no matter how far away you are. I emplore you to take THE LESSON with a truely humble man.

Oh!! sorry his name? Arturo Sandoval
    1947 Selmer Grand Prix
    US Air Force 1974 - 1980
    Comback player start date: 9/06/2009
    Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part

Piano User
    Gilroy, California

Wow Kraken good deal.

Imagine living in Kahuku (I'll let you guys figure out where THAT is) and not having the money for the MP. I got as far as showing I could blow a longer note than anyone and that was it. Now, been playing a month (had a few lessons a few years ago, total time on the horn probably 3 months in my life now?) and getting pretty good on Ave Maria and stuff in the book, stuff I copy from the radio etc. To me, every day playing is inspiring.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Hey, Kraken - Great Story. I guess it takes only one lesson from the master to inspire one for a lifetime. Congratulations on your comeback. We're all in this together.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Hey Kraken,

Makes me want to get on a plane right now.
    Maybe plan a business trip to coincide with a bit of blowing.
    Work is definitely interfering with my social life. Must change that soon...

Thread Information