Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Instrument Insurance in the General forums; Hi all, Just wondering if any of you have insurance on your gear. If so, with what company? Probably something ...
    New Friend

Instrument Insurance

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have insurance on your gear. If so, with what company? Probably something a lot of us should have as professionals, but we rarely think about. I'm sure the piece of mind knowing that all your gear is covered is great. Thanks for your help!

Mark
    Bb: Yamaha 8335GS
    C : Yamaha 8445GS
    Flugel: Yamaha 6810Z
    Picc: Yamaha YTR-9830
    Yamaha 14B4 (Bb and C)
    Yamaha 14F4 (Flugel)

Forte User

Re: Instrument Insurance

My horns are recorded with the rest of my stuff on homeowners insurance.

I'm not aware of any separate insurance available for musical instruments. I don't have a whole lot into my horns (probably less than $4,000 total) so the cost of insurance could likely be more than it's worth to me.

My homeowners covers the trumpets and my piano. I have to pay a little extra for it. The trumpets are covered for collision. If anything happens, I can have them fixed.

There is also insurance available from the AFM or the company is somehow associated with the union.

Pianissimo User

My instruments are covered by home owners insurance. I've specified their replacement value. I've never had anything stolen, but I am slightly concerned that they would refuse to pay on the basis of my evaluation if something happened.

Quote Originally Posted by terrytuner View Post
    My instruments are covered by home owners insurance. I've specified their replacement value. I've never had anything stolen, but I am slightly concerned that they would refuse to pay on the basis of my evaluation if something happened.
    I had Monette send a current price list for my trumpets and I sent the list to the insurance company. I would think that getting an appraisal on your trumpets would be a good idea.

New Friend

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've heard of some other musicians using a separate insurance that is dedicated solely toward covering their instruments. It covers theft, damage while traveling/performing, and their coverage is worldwide! For those of you that have your instruments covered with your homeowner's insurance...are your instruments covered when you are out on gigs or just when they are in your home? Thanks again, just trying to gain some knowledge.
    Bb: Yamaha 8335GS
    C : Yamaha 8445GS
    Flugel: Yamaha 6810Z
    Picc: Yamaha YTR-9830
    Yamaha 14B4 (Bb and C)
    Yamaha 14F4 (Flugel)

Quote Originally Posted by mlagatic View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've heard of some other musicians using a separate insurance that is dedicated solely toward covering their instruments. It covers theft, damage while traveling/performing, and their coverage is worldwide! For those of you that have your instruments covered with your homeowner's insurance...are your instruments covered when you are out on gigs or just when they are in your home? Thanks again, just trying to gain some knowledge.
    I have homeowners and the trumpets are covered at all times. I had to pay extra for the insurance. It's not covered in the regular policy.

As I said above there is coverage through the AFM.
    I think you can follow the link even if your not a member. You might have to join to get the insurance though.

Instrument Insurance - Assurances :: Official Website of the American Federation of Musicians

New Friend

Check out Clarion Insurance. They have a website that can answer all your questions.

My gear is insured through my home insurance and that covers it against theft or damage anywhere in the country, but does not cover it when I go overseas with it (which I do) -- so I take out explicit travel insurance for the gear items when I travel internationally.

In addition, at the gigs I play I make sure the organisers have insurance for the band covered - and if possible a secure area to leave stuff which isn't on stage.

--bumblebee
    Last edited by bumblebee; 02-27-2011 at 05:41 PM.

My husband and I have a separate policy with State Farm that covers our gear for professional use. Everything is insured for replacement value, there's no deductible, and it only costs us about $20 a month. We went this route when one of my horns got damaged at work (the culprit never spoke up) and our homeowners didn't cover it. $500 worth of repair work later, we got the policy! Well worth it just for the peace of mind alone, especially since the price of my flugel has gone up $1k since I bought it!
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information