Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Internalise music in the General forums; Your lips are the "strings" which makes brass playing just that much more difficult. Because of the incredible demands required ...

Re: Internalise music

Your lips are the "strings" which makes brass playing just that much more difficult. Because of the incredible demands required of trumpet players, it has been deemed the most difficult of all brass instruments by many professional players who are NOT trumpet players. Your lips, brain, fingers, and air supply must learn exactly what it takes to produce the sound and as Rowuk states, that takes considerable time and very diligent work. It doesn't take years to hear notes but it certainly can take years to have your lips reproduce them without many, many hours of practice.
    There are no shortcuts, just hard work.
    Rich T.
    Last edited by richtom; 10-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.

New Friend

Thanks a lot there is some really great advice here i will try it.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Keep in mind that the Bb trumpet is a transposing instrument, so that if you want to match a concert C, you will use the fingering for D. I know it's weird, but those of us that play orchestral music have learned to transpose on sight. It takes a lot of hard, mind-spinning work, but it is mechanical. I really respect the jazz trumpeters that know thousands of tunes, can play them in any key and say something when they improvise!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Down Under

Quote Originally Posted by jtpowell View Post
    You do not have to practice for years before you start, key word start, to hear the music on the page. You can start to hear today especially if you already know the sound of the tune on a page. You really shouldn't even need an instrument at hand to hear what's on the page and that really shouldn't have to wait years before that begins. I don't know what will work for you but here is what has helped me. Saying the notes of the scale the chart is with each note in it's pitch. That's like a vocabulary lesson for me. No vocab, no musical phrases/sentences. If I actually do have my horn I run through the scale. It's also helpful for me to sing the chart. That helps get it in my head. If it's not in my heart and head its not ever coming out the other end of my horn. You having actually played other instruments should help especially if you can already read music.

While it may take years to achieve mastery this isn't something you have to wait years to start doing and reaping the benefits of. Do not wait years to start hearing. Start hearing today.
    May I ask, are you in the advertising industry? Your last two sentences cracked me up.

Being serious now, listen to what jtpowell said. It's good advice.
    "We shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;
    for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible."

Bach Artisan Bb Trumpet - AB190S
    Denis Wick Standard Series - 1.5C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information