Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tobylou8
  • 1 Post By coolerdave
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Intonation on bach b flat strad 37 in the General forums; Hi all.. I have recently returned to playing after a long break and have been thoroughly enjoying my new bach ...
    New Friend

Intonation on bach b flat strad 37

Hi all..
    I have recently returned to playing after a long break and have been thoroughly enjoying my new bach strad 37. The first time I have owned a bach.
    The other day I started playing with some other instruments and found that I am playing very sharp.
    To get the intonation sitting well I am having to pull the tuning slide out much further than I have with any of the other trumpets
    I have owned in the past (about twice as far - almost an inch verses about half an inch with the other horns)
    As I am getting my chops back after a long break and have a weak embouchure is this purely operator error or is this extension on the tuning slide something in line with the bach's and the lead pipe etc? I welcome some well needed advice!

Re: Intonation on bach b flat strad 37

It could be OE, but the slide does pull out as much as 3 inches for a reason. I had a guy tell me I was pulling my slide out too far and that I was always flat. Well, I have perfect pitch and knew I was close, so I got a tuner out and guess what, I was on the money and he was incredibly sharp! He mumbled something and then kept on playing without adjusting his slide. The only way to know for sure is to get a tuner and see where you are. Eventually you may find that you pull the slide out less as you develop. Pinching to play high can make you play sharp. Welcome back and enjoy the ride here at TM.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

My Bach is definitiely not new, but I routinely need to have my main tuning slide out about 1/2" to 1" (I do routinely use a tuner to double check against my ear). I don't consider having the tuning slide out an inch excessive. As many players likely notice, the amount is subject to many things including mouthpieces.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

My tuning slide is out pretty far on my 2335, about an inch. I don't like it, but I play in tune with it out there.

Casper, WY

Matt, when you play duets & et al, how goes it?

San Pedro

an inch is not a big deal..
    tobylou8 likes this.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

after tuning while warm, i find the tuning slide is usually 1" (Bach Strad 37). If i play solo for a while i find i push it in. Then i go back to ensemble and find the right spot is about 1 ".

Playing sharp is a function of the ears. It needs to bother YOU when things aren't right. A pro trumpet does not change that. I generally find that a wimpy sound from a less than minimally practicing student always sounds sharp - even if the tuner shows differently! The solution is always getting the breath support and body use together.
    Last edited by rowuk; 12-01-2011 at 01:12 AM.
    mgcoleman likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

I've played a few strads and haven't had any issues like this- your tuning will change over time (which is why you might be sharp one day then flat the next). Sometimes the instrument will be different tuning-wise than other instruments you have played, as different instruments are built slightly different.

Thread Information