Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss ITG Coverage in the General forums; Umm, and I heard (read) a rumor that ITG 2006 might be at Banff, Alberta? Hmmm.... a 4 hour drive.... ...
    Fortissimo User
    Umm, and I heard (read) a rumor that ITG 2006 might be at Banff, Alberta? Hmmm.... a 4 hour drive.... (think, think)......no question!

PH
    Mezzo Piano User
    I am so sorry I had to miss this year. I will definitely be in Bangkok.

I have heard that 2006 will be at Rowan University in New Jersey.

Fortissimo User

ITG

Well PH, looking at your address, you probably have more up-to-date info than I. I'd read it was "either/or" N.J. and Banff... but looking at where the "market" for trumpets is I can sure see the logic of having it on the East Coast. Still, miracles have happened before; just have to keep the eyeballs peeled for the official announcement.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Holy Smokes what an event!!

It was absolutely awesome, and I was only there for a day. I showed up on Wednesday from a fishing trip. Figured there'd be enough room at any hotel. That was a bad idea, nearly disastrous, as every hotel I went to (and there were about 7 or 8) was full. I finally found a room at a La Quinta on the south side of Denver.

Then, Thursday morning I went to ITG. Wow. I showed up fairly early, and spent the entire morning trying out horns. I tried Kanstul, Schilke, Conn, Bach, Selmer-Paris, Getzen, Calicchio, Besson, Eclipse, LeBlanc, Yamaha, and Smith-Watkins (there is a funny story behind that one..). Needless to say, my lips were hurting pretty sweetly after all that. Also looked at some GR mouthpieces.

When I was at the Eclipse table, I got the chance to meet Trent, Leigh and Bruce. All of them nice guys, and the Eclipse is definitely a horn worth trying. It ranked within the top five CONCERT horns that I tried, and probably would have done just as well for lead purposes had I actually been looking for a lead horn.

With the shameless plug out of the way, I'll continue. After trying horns all morning, I was getting kinda hungry, and so my Dad and I (he wants to be a comeback, but just doesn't have the time, or that's what he says) decided to grab a bite. We get to the main lobby, and I see none other but Ron Romm standing there talking with Doc Severinsen. I about wet myself. Doc was there promoting his new Destino horn (didn't get around to that one) and Ron was performing with Fred Mills later that night. I was only able to get Ron's autograph, but at least got to talk to Doc for a second or so.

After pulling my chin off the ground, we went to go eat. Came back, and I tried to narrow down which horn I was gonna buy (that will appear in another forum). That was perhaps the greatest thing about the show. I was able to play every single horn that I had considered, and narrowed it down to what I wanted.

Anyway, after that little bit of playing, I went up to hear Barry Green give a lecture on 10 paths to True Artistry. Very good, and very informative. Then came Allen Vizzutti's concert. Again, wow is the only word. He absolutely wowed the crowd with his playing ( I couldn't believe I was hearing what I was hearing when he played "Carnival of Venus"). What amazed me was his poise. You could have chunked a rock past his face, and he wouldn't have blinked. That is concentration.

After the Vizzutti concert, it was back to the hotel to grab another quick bite, and then came back for the Ron Romm, Fred Mills, and Denver Brass concert. While Vizzutti was awesome, this was probably my favorite concert. Both of them are masters of the trumpet and had my father and I both wishing that they'd never stop the concert. But they did, and such is life. But it was truly an amazing concert.

Actually, amazing describes the whole event. I really enjoyed it, and hope to attend again soon!
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Pianissimo User

ITG-2004 Pics

I have posted a few pics from our ITG Trip.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jpt...=/ff22&.src=ph

Joel
    Joel Thomas
    Atlanta, Georgia

Pianissimo User
    Shame on you Noel! (call yourself British!) (or maybe this proves I am sad!) Chess was not by ABBA but two of Abba (Benny and Bjorn) and Tim Rice. Its a great musical - Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson sang a duet called I Know Him So Well which I believe went to #1 in the UK charts. ( I certainly remember them singing it a lot on Top of The Pops in the 80's!)

Thailand is a great place to visit though, and if you can get past the pollution and tricksters Bangkok is an interesting city - as I live in Dubai I may hopp over there to see what I have been missing in these ITG meets - they sound great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information