Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss ITG Coverage in the General forums; ITG have started reporting on the events at ITG. Those unfortunate enough to be "stuck at home" can get a ...
    Fortissimo User

ITG Coverage

ITG have started reporting on the events at ITG. Those unfortunate enough to be "stuck at home" can get a tantalizing taste of what's happening at http://www.trumpetguild.org/2004conf...ecoverage.html

Just click on any of the "activated links" within the text.

Pianissimo User
    Olga (my wife) and I just returned from the ITG conference this morning (left our hotel at 4:30AM - how stupid can I be???!!!) Anyway, the conference itself was very enjoyable. Partly because of all the fabulous playing that goes on (Jens Lindemann, Jon Faddis, Allen Vizzutti, Bobby Shew, Carl Saunders, Brad Goode, Greg Gisbert, Denver Dill, James Ackley, Matt Shulkman, and Rex Richardson, to name but a few) and the presentations and forum panels, but also because you get to hook up with a whole lot of great folks you only get to see at these conferences because they live cross-continent or even across "the pond," and forge new relationships with young and old players from around the world.

Special thanks goes out to Jim Donaldson, Brian Edgett, Phil Baughman, Rob Bradshaw, Jay Coble, Steve Wright, Becky Wilt, Denver Dill, and Doug Barta for the good conversation, dining, and concertizing this week. Next year will be a let down because I doubt going to Bangkok, Thailand for the conference is in the cards. I hear New Jersey and Banff, Canada are the leading candidates for 2006. Let's all get together then, too!

I've put a page of about 20 photos I took at the conference. This is a low-data-volume site, so it may occasionally come up as having "exceeded it's allowable bandwidth," but it will come back later in the day. Take a peek!

http://www.geocities.com/cbc95stew/ITGPics.html
    Dr. Michael Stewart
    Music Director, Deep Blue Big Band
    www.stewmuse.com

One night in Bangkok .....

It was a great song in the 70s

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Hi Dave - I will certainly be going. Bangkok is a fantastic city - I spent 36 hours there on a stop-over enroute for Sydney last year. I can't wait to go back! I suggest people book early for next years ITG - it'll be one to remember.

BTW Jim, the song is from Chess the musical, written by the guys from ABBA in the mid 1980s.

All the best, Noel.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyangel
    BTW Jim, the song is from Chess the musical, written by the guys from ABBA in the mid 1980s.
    What is a decade or so when you are ..... OLD like me. I knew it was from a production of some kind, either a musical or a movie. Sounds like the kind of music ABBA did. Now I know. Thanks for filling in my ..... um .... memory .... thats it, my memory

Old Guy Jim
    From the Land of Leisure Suits
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Damn good musical though!

I'm going to have to save up for a trip to ITG in Bangkok next year, I missed it in Manchester last year, even though I was just over the pennines in Sheffield. I've been kicking myself ever since!

BTW, anyone remember the Bangkok version of La Donna e Mobile which begins "Young boys are cheap today, cheaper than yesterday!"?

Pianissimo User
    Due to high traffic, I've moved the ITG pictures to a location that can handle the data transfer. You can now successfully see them at:

http://www.stewmuse.com/ITGPics.html
    Dr. Michael Stewart
    Music Director, Deep Blue Big Band
    www.stewmuse.com

Pianissimo User
    Thanks Michael!!

It was good to see some pics of what we missed :(

-marc

Hi gang!

This was my first ITG, and can't believe how much fun I had (and just got home after a small 2000 mile drive !

The first highlight was actually meeting Leigh McKinney in person! I had agreed to safely transit most of the horns for the conference so the first thing I did when I got into Denver is meet him. We then proceeded to risk life and limb by taking my dad's car up 13,200 feet at Mt. Evans! While being amazingly beautiful I think we both lost about 4 years off of our lives due to sheer terror (NO GUARD RAILS ON THE ROAD?????)

One of the coolest things I've seen and heard were all the amazing players trying the Eclipse line. To say the show was a success for Leigh and his wares would be an understatement. Quite a few players (and a few MONSTER players that I will keep nameless due to their affiliations with other companies) absolutely flipped at the horns. The big winner at the conference was the flugel, followed by the MY C trumpet and MR Bb trumpet. It was exhausting to work at the booth and unfortunately they set us up in quite possibly the deadest part of the hall but even then people had a great chance to check out the wares First Class Brass had brought from "across the pond".

The next highlight of the conference (other than hearing Vizzutti, Jens, Faddis, McNeil, Etc etc etc) had to be before the jam session on Thursday night. I got there a little early and started to play with the rhythm section.... when I got done I looked behind me and Carl Saunders was standing there. Talk about intimidating! We had a bunch of fun playing together the next two nights and it was amazing to hear all the great players up close. The jam sessions with Jeff H, Rex, Matt Shulman, Dominic, Carl, Mike Wade, Pharez W., Ira Sullivan, Brad Goode (and many more I'm leaving out... I haven't really slept in 3 days sorry guys!) were most fun and inspiring. You'd think at a jam session with a bunch of trumpeters there would be a serious ego battle but I thought for the most part pretty much every one was trying to make music and communicate.

The other perk I had was that I had the great pleasure of meeting so many of you TH's/TM'ers/TPIN'ers in person. I really had fun with Don, George, Mikester, and others. It was nice to finally meet Mike Anderson (who've I've chatted with since 1994 when TPIN and I were both "youngsters". I really enjoyed hearing Atom Anderson, RiffDawg, DCstep, SHSTrumpet (I have to use you're online handles and MANY MANY MANY others play and have a lot of fun with the Eclipse horns. It was great to hear Jeff play at the session after meeting him in person a few mintes before that... Again I'm leaving a lot of people out and I apologize for that.

There's so much more I'm leaving out and I'll post about the horns I tried on another link in the future.

Thanks again to Leigh and Bruce for inviting me out there. I strongly encourage you all to go to an upcoming ITG conference soon. My spiritual trumpet batteries are now charged up for at least a year!

Best regards to all,

Trent
    www.trentaustin.com

Unlock your Talent at www.jazzimprov.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information