I just posted this to TPIN. I think it might also be of interst here.

Hello, fellow TPINer's! I have the "president elect" of the Chicago Section of the American Association of Physics Teachers (I know, I know, this is a turmpet list! Sorry). I take over on November 6 for one year.

Well, I have been on the planning committe for some time, and this year, it turns out that a speaker of my suggestion is going to be giving our keynote talk at out November 6th meeting at Joilet West High School.

Dr. Thomas Moore, the Science Editor of the International Trumpet Guild Journal, will be givng a talk on the physics of the modern trumpet. His abstract is pasted in below.

This meeting is open to physics teachers, of course, but I thought it would be really interesting to alert trumpeters, trumpet teachers, professors, anyone with an interest in how trumpets work, to drop by. I believe there is a small registration fee (I don't think it's all that much - somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars, if I recall; more if you want to include some lunch).

Dr. Moore's talk will be in the morning, starting somewhere between 8 and 9 AM. As the timing solidifies, I'll post a follow-up message.

I have had some email exchanges with Dr. Moore. He seems a very aimiable fellow and he has a very deep interest in something that affects all of us trumpeters. I hope some of you can come.

Here's his brief abstract:

Trumpet Lessons: the physics of the modern trumpet and what it can teach us about art and science

Although the basic design of the trumpet has remained unchanged for over a century, there is an ongoing controversy concerning which physical aspects of the instrument actually affect the sound. Musicians typically believe that such things as the addition of mass to the valves, changes in the thickness and composition of the metal, the presence of lacquer, and even cryogenic freezing of the instrument can have a significant effect on the sound. However, it is not obvious how these claims can be true since vibrations of the air inside the instrument produce the sound, not vibrations of the metal. We have conducted experiments and developed computer simulations in an effort to understand some of these effects, and along with results from other groups around the world we are beginning to sort fact from fiction. This presentation will provide an overview of the physics of the modern trumpet, a discussion of some of the controversial methods used by musicians to modify the sound of their instrument, and a description of some of the instrumentation used to investigate the science behind the art of the trumpeter.

Peace, all.

Nick Drozdoff