Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I've been told I'm not allowed to practise... in the General forums; I practise for around 2 hours each evening in my room with the door shut as far away from everyone ...
    Pianissimo User

Angry I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

I practise for around 2 hours each evening in my room with the door shut as far away from everyone else as I can possibly get. I live with my parents and my younger brother, who also plays the trumpet. My Dad has tonight told me that he has had enough and I can't practise every day or for hours because it is an inconvenience to everyone else. I work 9-5 in a office job which I hate and knowing that I can come home and practise trumpet is all that keeps me going (usually practise between 6 and 9). I have ambitions to go to music college next year and am therefore working very hard. I have a Wallace practice mute which I occasionally use for warm ups, but hate playing with it in. I will not practise my pieces with it in because I am focusing very hard on my articulation and dynamics and I find that this is extremely difficult with a mute in.

I don't know what to do, I guess I need to come up with some sort of a compromise. I've got no where else to practise. Trumpet means so much to me and I feel like my parents are trying to take that away from me. I understand it's loud and not always nice to listen to but I am trying to reach goals that are very important to me. Can anyone give me some advice?

Also can someone give me their view on a yamaha silent system?
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Forte User
    Northern California

Re: I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

I have a friend who can't practice at home because of neighbors. He drives to a local bayside park and practices in his car.

As far as a Silent Brass goes, I bought one several years ago, tried it, and it's been back in the box ever since. I didn't find the volume attenuation for others to be all that much better than a good practice mute (a Sotto Voce, for instance), and I really didn't care for the sound quality I heard. Other people have reported better experiences with them, but it's not for me.
    graysono likes this.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

That is harsh.

I understand your Dad's position, sort of.
    But, do not let go of your desire/need to practice.
    You said it yourself, "Trumpet is all that keeps me going."

There must be a compromise.
    Practice in a car?
    Find some other locations?
    Discuss it more with your Dad, calmly?

Novato, CA, USA

Check out a local church, boys and girls club or the like - they might be willing to let you use their facilities.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Yes, I've been using YSB for many years and IMO it is the most silent mute that I've knowledge of. Before we moved to NC we lived in a town house with walls adjacent to neighbors on both sides without complaint. Now, during the day 4 days a week I can practice open without mute, but late in the evenings and the other 2 days (I don't practice or play on Sundays unless performing in church) my wife is at home and is usually sitting in the living room, puttering in the kitchen, or napping in our bedroom and I've the YSB in and she doesn't hear me at all. That said, I DO NOT like any mute, but will use them when the music or director requires them.

The downside of YSB is that the ear buds that come with it are worthless garbage. Others have complained about back pressure, and I've found that some do not use the electronics when such, is reported and others have an instrument where the mouthpiece instrument itself has more back pressure than what I normally use. Lastly, with my usage I'm having to replace 9V batteries about every 3 months which I have to do now before tomorrow. Otherwise, they cost over $100.00 new, but I bought mine from someone who didn't like them (as seem plentiful) for about half that.

Otherwise, repetitive practice with warm ups and parts of a song until they are played right are an annoyance to anyone in their sane mind. Consider how many repetitive times you yourself could listen to [I] Twinkle,Twinkle Little Star[/I ] before you proclaimed enough is enough. Yes, you live in your parents' house so they govern what occurs in it. I just don't buy the excuse that you've no other place to practice.

If you are unable or it is inconvenient to practice someplace without a mute, then practicing w/a practice mute (or harmon mute) is better than not practicing.

I've used Bremner Shhmute and Yamaha silent brass (also red/white Manny Klein for flugelhorn).

I like the Yamaha system with decent headphones the best, cables are the biggest drawback to YSB in my opinion......

Schilke B1 & S42 (Bb), Conn 38A Connstellation (Cornet), Bach Strad 183 (Flugel), French Besson Classic (C)
    Plus a modest collection of vintage trumpets.

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." Kurt Vonnegut

"It aint the mouthpiece." W.W.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    I just don't buy the excuse that you've no other place to practice.
    I don't! I'm not at school so don't have any facilities like that and it would be difficult to just go to church or something to practise, I don't have any contacts like that.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

I practice in a basement storage room at my workplace before work.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Piano User

I've pissed the wife off by practicing, but discovered that once everyone else was in bed that I can practice in the basement and no one hears me. I have a Yamaha practice mute and bought head phones (nice ones) to go with it and the setup was not bad, but I really hate using it. I did however notice that a guy used a yamaha practice mute to stay 'warmed-up' at a recent patriotic concert that we did. I thought wow that would have been a great idea, but I also think it is a bit distracting and depending on the venue you may still be able to hear him although I doubt it.

Something that I used to do is stop by a local music store and use one of their rooms to practice in. Of course it helps if at some point in time you took lessons there or know the people, but you could probably talk to them and explain the situation and ask if for x-amount of time if they have space if you could use one of their rooms to practice. In my earlier example it might some times be a case where I am practicing between 10 pm - 1 am which makes it difficult to be charged up to practice, but it means that people are asleep and assuming I don't wake them up then they are not upset. I've also practiced over lunch breaks in the car which is a pain, but its doable. If you are good enough maybe you could set up a basket and practice in a park and maybe some people would throw in some tips while you are practicing... LOL
    Bach Stradivarius 180S37
    Conn Connstellation

Rochester, MN

How badly do you need to practice?

No major accomplishments in life come easily. You said you want to go to college for music. I assume for majoring in trumpet performance.

Making it through that program and then getting a job or jobs to earn enough to live on your own will be much more difficult than
    the problem you face now of locating a place to practice.

Man up. Go out and find a place to practice. You will need the skill of meeting new people and starting relationships if you are going
    to survive as a professional musician. You might as well get started on "door knocking" now.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information