Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss James Stamp Warm- Ups in the General forums; Greetings all! After many, many years of using Schlossberg warm-ups I have recently (maybe 3/4 months ago) switched over to ...

James Stamp Warm- Ups

Greetings all!
    After many, many years of using Schlossberg warm-ups I have recently (maybe 3/4 months ago) switched over to the Stamp warm-ups.
    I am looking for some expert feedback from those of you that are well versed in this approach. My question (s) to you my Trumpet brethren is this:
    1) What MM markings do you subscribe to? ( #'s 4a & 5 not withstanding from Roy Poper's guide to.......)
    2) Do you leave the mouthpiece on your chops throughout the entire "Basic warm-up", (#3 for example) or do you take off the piece after each double bar?
    This is how I have been approaching Mr. Stamp's warm-ups:
    MM quarter note= 60, (72 for #4b). I keep the mouthpiece on my chops throughout the entire excercise, BUT take the pressure off for 4 counts while I inhale on beats 3 and 4.
    What says you? I look forward to your responses!
    Peace
    Stage 1: California Light
    Calicchio: Solo Copper 3/9
    Getzen: Eterna Flugel
    GR: 66MX, Zottola: 66 FL
    Assorted Garage Tools

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."
    Dizzy

Re: James Stamp Warm- Ups

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, I don't have that book. I have Stamp's Buzzing book however and the only thing I would say is that I take the mouthpiece off between exercises. I also take slower tempos than the written to 'lock' in on all the pitches.

I agree that it is best to go slowly enough on these exercises to really "lock in" on the center of each pitch.
    As for taking the horn off your face, I do so after every key of every exercise, then rest for as many counts as I just played. In fact, I have inserted extra breath marks in the middle of the long ones.
    Great book if you are one who likes pedaltones!

Pianissimo User

You may want to check out the latest edition of the Stamp book, which comes with play-along CDs -- the tempos on the CDs were those dictated to Tom Stevens by Stamp himself when the book was first assembled.

From Stamp's perspective, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about keeping the mouthpiece on your lips (what would amount to a "Caruso" approach to playing the exercises), but if that were part of your practice strategy, you could apply it to the Stamp Warm-Ups as well as any other exercise.

The Stamp Exercise No. 6, if played all the way through, can keep the horn on your face for quite a while.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dambly View Post
    You may want to check out the latest edition of the Stamp book, which comes with play-along CDs -- the tempos on the CDs were those dictated to Tom Stevens by Stamp himself when the book was first assembled.

From Stamp's perspective, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about keeping the mouthpiece on your lips (what would amount to a "Caruso" approach to playing the exercises), but if that were part of your practice strategy, you could apply it to the Stamp Warm-Ups as well as any other exercise.

The Stamp Exercise No. 6, if played all the way through, can keep the horn on your face for quite a while.

-Tom
    Thank ya' kindly for this information, I will most certainly check into this!
    Assorted Garage Tools

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."
    Dizzy

Stevens has said that Stamp believed people played his stuff too slow, and Stevens Cd's with the stamp book done by Tom Dambly will show you how fast Tommy did them. It is significantly faster than I started doing these years ago, and the faster speed is very very helpful.
    my 2 cents
    Matt

I'm ordering the book as I write down these words, well not really, well you all know what I mean!
    Thank you as well for your input, much appreciated "beartrumpet74"!
    Assorted Garage Tools

Dizzy

I ran into Roy Poper at ITG and asked him (in a delightful conversation) the tempo question too. He said Stamp would always say "keep it moving, keep it moving." I believe Stamp was trying to get us playing without too much fretting.
    Last edited by tromj; 07-27-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: sp
    Yamaha 8310Z
    Dillon Flugelhorn
    Getzen 850 Cornet
    Yamaha Picc
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445
    Bach Corp. 3C, Curry 3F, Curry 3DC. (cornet), Stork 5P

Please, try to traduce this.
    Muchas cosas en la trompeta son más psicológicas que físicas.
    Después de 30 años tocando y enfrentándome a los "problemas" comunes de los trompetistas, he descubierto que todos los consejos, descubrimientos y enseñanzas tienen una base en común. Sólo con el estudio conciente se pueden encontrar las coincidencias en lugar de las diferencias pues lo que cambia es la manera de expresar la manera correcta de tocar.
    Mi consejo es que tengamos tolerancia a la incertidumbre de cómo nos va a sonar la trompeta un día, y nos centremos en lo básico. El calentamiento no debería ser algo rutinario ni predecible, así como tu no sabes con qué estado de ánimo te vas a levantar un día. Así que debemos saber adaptarnos a las condiciones de cada día y encontrarle el "truco" de cada día.
    Yo he encontrado que sumando las enseñanzas de Jerome Callet y Louis Maggio tengo una media que me ayuda a tocar bien cada día.
    Si observamos con cuidado, cada trompetista toca de una manera distinta, pero en realidad, cuando se logra éxito, de los labios para adentro, es igual en cada uno.
    La preocupación es la peor amenaza de cualquier músico. Manteniendo la calma de un sabio la trompeta nunca nos ganará.
    Cheers!!!!!

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by The BuZZ View Post
    This is how I have been approaching Mr. Stamp's warm-ups:
    MM quarter note= 60, (72 for #4b).
    I follow the tempo on the CD. I'm at work now playing the first warm up in my head and I would say the tempo is about 1/4 = 96.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information