Trumpet Discussion Discuss Jaw motion / back of tongue in the General forums; I've begun "getting my chops" back into "legit" shape after a hiatus - I've been playing for a long time, ...
    New Friend

Jaw motion / back of tongue

I've begun "getting my chops" back into "legit" shape after a hiatus - I've been playing for a long time, primarily in drum corps, but haven't played a "legit" gig since 1997 or thereabouts.

I've gegun using Caruso it in conjunction with some of the Schlossberg stuff, and a few lighter articulation / intervalic things from Arban. The thought process is first just to get an even sound across the horn, and then tackle some of the dexterity, and more complex articulation/multiple tongue things.

initially, I'm finding several things, primarily -
    1. in working long tones, and the Caruso 2nd's - I'm finding that the back of my tongue is arching too high for notes that are lower in the staff (second line A or below); and that on the m'piece especially - there is a marked difference (improvement) in sound quality as I ascend beyond the A. It's quite pronounced. After I've been playing for about 15 minutes, this goes away. Can anyone suggest an excersize to elimminate this from the "get go"?
    2. when I begin working mixed articulation patterns, I'm finding jaw movement (again, second line A and below) - sometimes, this jaw movement cause a slight "frack" on an attack.

Any ideas????

Pianissimo User

Re: Jaw motion / back of tongue

When you get to those notes that you are having trouble with, bend them...

or play the note on the mouthpiece, you'll probably find that when you try to play it on the mouthpiece a higher note comes out than the one you are trying to play on the horn, get it to be the same note...

Re: Jaw motion / back of tongue

I think that you are intellectualizing your restart way too much.
    You just need to start PLAYING without analysis- just nothing extreme yet. Build a solid musical midrange and then go for range and loudness.
    If you feel that your tongue is too arched, what do you think about the compression of your lip mass, amount of pressure on the upper or lower lips? How deep and relaxed is your breathing? Do you inhale and then transition to a smooth exhale/play or hold your air in first?
    An arched tongue is a way to get range without proper embouchure strength or breath support. If the rest of the pieces are not there, you are frustrating yourself for no reason whatsoever.
    Caruso is designed for developed players. If your chops are not together, you can completely twist your brain around - without the results that you expect.
    My ideas:
    get supervision from somebody competent - let THEM worry.
    Your tongue will always balance out other sins - don't worry about it - that is its purpose in a players life!
    Spend time on your breathing. (search TM on "deep relaxed breath")
    Build strength and power in the midrange (just play through your hymnbook a couple of times - there is seldom anything above an F there!).
    When the chops are strong, the need for tongue arch is minimized. If your chops/breathing are weak and you inhibit the tongue movement, you will have to mash the mouthpiece into your chops to get range!
    If your breathing is together, a little jaw movement will not be audible. The weaker everything is, the more noticable any change of geometry will be!
    Do not start analyzing your playing until a measure of proficiency is there. Like when you bake a cake, tasting the flour, egg, sugar and water separately will not tell you how it will taste when it has been baked. Your tongue position alone tells you NOTHING about what you need next!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information