Trumpet Discussion Discuss Jaw Movement in the General forums; Quite an amount of people I know when they do lip slurs they shift the jaw. Does this shifting of ...
    Somewhere in Ohio

Jaw Movement

Quite an amount of people I know when they do lip slurs they shift the jaw. Does this shifting of the jaw cause notes to go sharp or flat due to the change of your wind stream? I am just wondering because I have done it before and my band director also says to never move the jaw, because the notes will go flatter mostly in the lower register and sometimes sharp. I just want to make sure that I am not going to develop a bad habit in any way, and to tell some of my fellow students to not do what they have developed.

Re: Jaw Movement

Moving the jaws when playing changes the complete geometry of the embouchure. It can cause sharpness or flatness depending on the airstream and the pressure against the upper and lower lip. I see it primarily with players that do not have a good daily routine. They use it to apply pressure to the upper lip to play higher. The only cure that I know of is supervision from a good teacher and a solid daily routine to build strength!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information