Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss jaw pain in the General forums; Sorry, this is one area where Vulgano Brothers keep there own mouths shut. Good luck, guys!! 1...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, this is one area where Vulgano Brothers keep there own mouths shut. Good luck, guys!!

"A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend
    For my overbite, it's all about the horn angle. I can either choose to uncomfortably thrust my lower jaw forward....OR.....angling the horn 10-15degrees lower achieves the same thing!

With young players, I like to have them stand with everything from head to heels touching a wall behind them. Still standing like that, have them play a few easy open tones at their normal horn angle (don't mention horn angles before this drill or you'll screw them up) Make sure those few tones sound GOOD!

Then ask them to step away from the wall without changing embechure or horn angle....they may only pivot at the neck (NOT the angle between horn and chops) when they adjust to their normal playing stance.

This has made the world of difference to my students and was an essential part of my progress because it takes pressure off the chops and tension out of the jaw with a visibly measurable solution. This problem is so easy to diagnose, see it in kids who keep their stands too low or bury themselves in stands, especially when learning new pieces.

(Something to be aware might just help that tenth person when the other nine get it another way)

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Thanks, Hhanson! And welcome aboard, too.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information