Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just coming Back - Huge Breakthroughs? in the General forums; Hope this clarify's. The feeling I had was an opening of my throat and I think using the back of ...
    New Friend

Re: Just coming Back - Huge Breakthroughs?

Hope this clarify's. The feeling I had was an opening of my throat and I think using the back of my tongue to guide the air into the higher range. As I have experimented, I use the back of my tongue to push into the range with good air support and then relax the tongue if possible to open the air for better tone. Best i can describe my weird breathrough is like chugging a "soda" with the throat opening and then raising the very back of your tongue to pinch the air into the note and releasing with massive air support to to have the note with some tone.

I do know what a double high C is- no, I can not play with any real tone beyond the e - but have squeaked it out. Most importantly, does not really matter - I am just excited to play up to a high C with some tone and relative ease compared to my high school days and more excited about sharing experiences.

Thank you for you insight. love the idea of finding a buddy - I have always struggled with some stage fright, playing with another person might start to help this. I used to study under a player in the Toledo Symphony - years ago. Hopefully, if I can progress over the next 6 months I will look to get a private instructor of similar caliber again. Any personal recomendations for instructors in the Jacksonvile, FL area?

The Wide Brown Land

I can endorse the 'playing with a buddy' theme. I was cajoled into a local Community Band (full of teenagers) - I'm having the best time, and despite what you might think, the kids are not critical of my lack of performance.

I know they are better than me, I know at least 50% are prettier than me, they are all fitter, faster, friendlier, and more fearless than me - but none of them have a 'killer wit' quite like mine, nor do they have as fine a collection of trumpets and mutes and "stuff". They never know what the old bloke is going to say next, and mostly they laugh at the appropriate spots.

I am the oldest in the band by quite some years, get to play brass with my boys and niece and I am improving by the minute. Get a 'trumpet buddy', buddy. Age is unimportant, young folks seem to like the idea that everyone can get it wrong sometimes. Keeps me humble too.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend

Truer words were never spoken. I'm involved in two symphony orchestras and a high-end brass band, and am by far the oldest dude among them. The thing I like most is that (after the 45 year lay-off) I'm getting to the point - and they see it coming - that I can play with them and am poised to run circles around them. One of the kids said the other day, "you laid off the trumpet twice as long as I've been alive". Nothing was ever said to me that I got more of a kick out of. For all the doubters out there who hung up the horn, get it out and give it a honk, it's a really profound opportunity to go back in time.

I'm wondering if I can impose on you all to indulge me in a coouple of epistles:
    1. The mystique surrounding the Chicago Bach C Trumpets - I owned one of the rejects.
    2. Insights into the new Schilke HD Series trumpets. I know for a fact what they are designed to do.
    Let me know if you want me to weigh in.

Pianissimo User
    Middle of Georgia

psssssst...artiep2, what does the "HD" mean?

New Friend

it's the model id for the new line of schilke trumpets being unveiled at the ITG conference this month. nobody knows what the nomenclature means but the line is designed to compete directly with the Yamaha Artist Series - Chicago and NY models. They will be darker, heavier, and specificaly designed for orchestral applications.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information