Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dennis78
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just Curious in the General forums; This is one of those questions I should probably apologize for in advance: I'm new to the trumpet (sax player) ...
    New Friend

Just Curious

This is one of those questions I should probably apologize for in advance:

I'm new to the trumpet (sax player) and playing for maybe two months now. I have a Gtezen Severinsen Eterna from the early 70s in great shape that I had serviced by a professional tech. Recently, I picked up a 1952 Blessing Standard from a guy on Craigslist for $50. It's in nice shape too. Anyway, using the same mouthpiece (Bach Artisan 5C) I find it easier to play the Blessing than the Getzen. I can't describe it like you guys can, but it just blows more easily for me.

Maybe it's my imagination. I'm hoping someone knows these horns well enough to offer a possible explanation. Thanks!

Re: Just Curious

The best explanation is that it's just a combination of factors that go together to create better efficiency in one over the other, or it could be that you are just getting better feedback from one over the other.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

All horns play different, and horn mouthpiece combinations make a lot difference
    gordonfurr1 likes this.
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

North Carolina

And sometimes the same instrument model from the same manufacturer plays differently...actually probably more than "sometimes".
    The variation in the build quality of instruments is great enough in many cases that the result is noticeably different.
    I recall hearing about one euphonium expert that wouldn't set a price on individual euphoniums of the exact same make/year/model until he thoroughly played each one as the minor differences in build detail made a great difference in performance and therefore value. Odd, isn't it, that even in tbis age of robotic computer controlled manufacturing that the COV (coefficient of variance) is still great enough to cause a noticeable change in performance.
    Trumpets are sensitive resonators. Differences in mass of tubing, solder wicking, shape of bends, Etc. Etc. Etc. summate to a potentially totally different instrument from one serial number to the next.
    Just a barefoot, backwoods loon dancing from one dapple of sunlight to the next upon the crunchy forest floor of life. Care not a hoot for high-falutingness, just love the day, its tranquil twilight, and the reprise of treefrogs and cicadas late into the warm summer's night.

Wait until your playing has advanced some. The Getzen may just need more mature chops. Kind of like comparing a Yanasigawa 901 to a Selmer Mark 6. No joy with the Selmer until you have chops.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Thank you for the responses. I was wondering if it might have anything to do with bore and beginner chops. BTW rowuk, that is an excellent analogy

Thread Information