Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just Curious Trumpet Performance Degrees. in the General forums; Actually, Germany is going through this right now. There have been several leading politicians that have been driven from office ...

Re: Just Curious Trumpet Performance Degrees.

Actually, Germany is going through this right now. There have been several leading politicians that have been driven from office due to copy/paste without footnotes. Before getting indignant, it may be interesting to note that some of the politicians graduated Summa cum laude. This means that the evaluation of their work by the universities was everything except cum laude. How can it be possible to grant the highest honor without noticing that something is wrong?

What is interesting for me is HOW they found the plagiarism. It turns out that there are common phrases to combine thoughts that do not belong to the writer. Computer programs analysed the doctoral thesis and spit out a lot of stuff for closer scrutiny. For those that understand german, this site is an eye opener: VroniPlag Wiki

These techniques are also useful here at TM. Most of the time it is VERY easy to read where the poster stole their information and if any personal experience is involved at all. It is most interesting when you challenge the post.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Forte User Trumpet Dreamer's Avatar
    Jazz Town, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bach37 View Post
    As the post title says, Just curious. I don't want to stir up a hornets nest. Just was wondering about the differance between the Undergrad, Masters, DMA in performance. First what does it take to achieve those degrees. Second are they worth getting. Is it worth stopping after Bachelor degree or move on to masters. Or stopping at a masters and not pursuing a doctorate. Just curious about what it takes and pros and cons of each.
    If you are seriously interested, you should contact the UNT School of Music, in Denton, Texas. UNT is the largest music school in the USA...and this is one example where bigger IS better!

UNT College of Music | Home
    Last edited by Trumpet Dreamer; 03-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Getzen "Mike Vax" 3001MV Trumpet
    Kanstul - Besson International Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-2335S Totally "Pimped" (Oh, Yes!)
    Custom CarolBrass CTR-5204L-RLM
    Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet
    Jupiter JFH-846RS Flugelhorn

Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by richtom View Post
    Bud Herseth's degree is in Mathematics.
    Today's world is quite different.
    I have a well educated friend who explains degrees this way. It it cleaned up for the forum.
    BS = Bull S***. MS = More S***. PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.
    Great MUSICIANS work.
    Quick fact check, Hersuth also went to the New England Conservatory of Music and studied with Georges Mager, Principal trumpet with the Boston Symphony. That's how he got the job with Chicago.

What I've found interesting in this discussion is the trend to think only about degrees as a tool for a job. I went to a music school to learn about music and to become a better trumpet player/ musician. There i was exposed to more music than I ever would have on my own. Chamber music, solo music large ensembles. Access to their music library. classes in Music Theory, Music History, Ear training, Studies in the literature.

If all you are interested in is the degree than you are really missing the point. Of course if you want to teach the degree is needed, but that shouldn't be the only reason you go to school.
    tobylou8 and Rusty_Restorer like this.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information