Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just an Exercise-question?? in the General forums; Hello Manny, it's your friend Axel from sweden here!! I'm wondering - some good exercises for flexibillity?? I seem to ...
    New Friend

Just an Exercise-question??

Hello Manny, it's your friend Axel from sweden here!!

I'm wondering - some good exercises for flexibillity??

I seem to have a hard time on doing slurs like C - G - C2 - G, G - C2 - E - C2 - G etc...I can't get up the speed no matter how slow I practice it?? I have speed on it but I want to be able to play it much faster. Flexibillity are my weak spot in my playing, I practice it but don't know how to move on to the next level.

I just don't seem to get the feeling for these kind of exercices, if one should "feel" the tones or just feel the gesture of it?...cause now I can play it as fast as I can think the notes. Perhaps I just solved my question right there

Do you have some thought about this to share with me on this one??

Thank you Manny

//Axel Sjostedt, Sweden

New Friend
    Sorry of course I'm very interested in everyone's opinion about this, not just Manny!!!

Wow it's fun to play trumpet!!!

Utimate User

Your posts and questions always make me smile and, I'm sure, the other members because you have a good spirit that is very important for expressing your inner song.

To your question: Yes, you have answered a great deal of it. The hearing of the note(s) before you play is something that every good trumpeter who wants to also be a musician must do. But it is more than the note, Axel. It must be the color, the fire in the sound that will help you to create something special.

I have something for you to practice.

I want you to use adjectives (words that you use to describe ((and pardon me if you already know that)) ) to describe a sound of a low C. Words that mean something not always musical but that use color, feeling, whatever... then create a sound that matches that word.

For instance if you choose "fuzzy", make a fuzzy sound on the low C. Next, another word; maybe you would choose "brilliant" or better still, "sunny". Make THAT sound.

Whenyou become good at this the next step is to string together more notes like in your arpeggios and make all of them sound like the adjective you wish. Go to real extreme examples if you can, real opposites.

The point of this exercise is to work on a sound concept in your head and playing so that everyone can hear what is in your head. Then more and more and more notes until you turn your trumpet into a mirror of your mind. Also practice listening to your favorite CD's and then listening to them in your head so that it sounds exactly like the CD!

Well, enough talk, no? Get busy and let us know in a few days how things go for you. This will not improve your arpegios immediately. It will take time but you will be happier in a short while.

Don't forget to breathe big!

Thread Information