Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just joined Bugles Across America! in the General forums; Originally Posted by jiarby I just signed up at the BAA website, and got a phone call within an hour ...
    Charlotte NC

Re: Just joined Bugles Across America!

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    I just signed up at the BAA website, and got a phone call within an hour from a local representative. Played taps over the phone and he say's I'm in!

So, how nervous were any of you other BAA members on your first gig??
    Tremendously nervous. It was my first time playing in front of others after a 13 yr layoff from playing. I still get nervous when I play a funeral. You only get one chance to get it right for that family and veteran. Just be prepared and you will be fine.
    Marcinkiewicz CG 470 Bach 3C
    Buzz City Brass
    StarDusters Big Band

The key is to focus on the music. Most buglers find that closing their eyes helps. Getting the first note also helps.

In my case, the NCOIC of the state Honor Guard unit was justified. While embarassed, I understood. I have made tremendous progress in both my trumpet playing and bugling. Sometimes it takes a horrible experience to bring about the change. I no longer feel arrogant, but confident in my abilities. Someday, I will approach the Honor Guard NCOIC and request an audition. Once done, I am sure that I will be in their good graces.

On a side note, it may be that I am a retired Army Officer, and that group of enlisted personnel feel that having an officer be the bugler is an awkward situation.

Good luck on Saturday.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet
    Eastman C Trumpet
    Zeus Guarnerius Flugel Horn
    Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
    Kanstul G Bugle

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Have been invited to an Americal Legion meeting early in April. Have called to all our local Armed Forces, gotten polite replies, and the V.A. had a 40 minute hold time. Most folk want a real trumpet player (as opposed to an electronic bugle) unless they request a bugler in uniform. If they can't play, they'll push a button.

Am still muddling through this, but think we have enough members willing to honor veterans by playing the tune correctly and according to protocol.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

The Wide Brown Land

Quote Originally Posted by kehaulani View Post

I am not positive (you can search the VA web site) but I believe you can opt for either the large or small medals, (I've worn my small medals).
    I've done this search here in Oz and this is the official Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) stance, I suspect it is similar world wide ....

Medal Wearing Protocol

The Wearing of Medals and Decorations

War medals may only be worn on the left breast by the persons upon whom they were conferred. The honour afforded remains with the individual and does not pass to a widow, parent, son or relative when the recipient is dead. Similarly, the same rules apply in cases where a posthumous award is made.

The policy as it stands is that on the death of a recipient, technically, any honours and awards revert to the commonwealth in the first instance. The reality of course is that family members have an ambient claim and the commonwealth would not seek to intervene in medals being passed on directly within the family.

Family members may wear their forebears medals on the right breast which indicates that they are not their own. There is no limitation or formal policy on what occasions they should be worn. In essence, the wearing of forebear's medals on the right breast is a convention passed down over the years that is largely dictated by the occasion and (ideally) a measure of decorum fitting the event. They should not be worn lightly or where it would be inappropriate to do so.

For uniformed personnel, on ANZAC and Remembrance days only, modification of normal service dress code is allowed whereby they wear their own medals on the left breast accompanied (if they wish) by their ancestor's on the right.

War Medals (with certain exceptions) are worn on the left breast of the coat, or in a corresponding place on the dress, as the case may be. They will be worn in a horizontal line, suspended from a single bar, of which no part is to be seen, or stitched to the garment. When worn on the coat, the coat should be buttoned up.

The ribbon should not exceed one inch in length, unless the number of clasps require it to be longer. The uppermost clasp should be one inch below the top of the ribbon. When two or more medals and decorations are worn, they will be so arranged that the lower edges (or lowest point of a Star) are in line. War medals are worn to show the Sovereign's head.

War medals (or Campaign medals) are worn in the order of the dates of Campaigns for which they have been conferred, the first obtained being farthest from the left shoulder.

The only time these should be worn are on occasions when evening dress or a dinner jacket is worn at a dinner or evening function.

The RSL actively discourages the wearing of non official medals at RSL and other ceremonial or commemorative functions. If Commemorative Medals are worn, they should be positioned on the right breast and not mixed with Service Medals or Decorations.

The Awards and National Symbols Branch of the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet further states:

“Over a number of years some ex-service organisations have created and distributed ‘commemorative’ medals to mark Particular periods of military service. These medals have no official status.

You should be aware that the government has created a number of official medals that commemorate certain events, for example, the 80th Anniversary Armistice Remembrance Medal, the Australian Sports Medal and the “Anniversary of National Service 1951-1972 Medal”.

Only those medals, decorations and honours, which have been created under the prerogative of the Crown, have official status. Such medals should be worn in accordance with The Order of Wearing Australian Honours and Awards on the left breast either on an official uniform or civilian dress.

Official medals worn by relatives of a deceased veteran should be worn on the right breast.

Ideally, unofficial medals should not be worn. However if they are worn as the occasion demands, they may be worn on the right breast.

This advice is based on official protocol and practice”.

No person, with the exception of a direct descendant of a deceased service man or woman, may wear medals which have not been awarded to him or her personally. This also applies to the wearing of miniature medals and medal ribbons.

Fraudulent wearing of medals attracts penalties under Federal regulations and also attracts subsequent penalties under the RSL Constitution.
    Last edited by tedh1951; 03-30-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

San Pedro

worrying about cracking or missing a note is not a good thought to have when playing .... so let's just go out there and think positive ... isn't it cool that we picked trumpet as our instrument instead of Sax ... it really is an honor to be part of these services.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information