Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just some general questions in the General forums; Something else I would suggest is that you find an outlet other than the practice room. Initially, you'll probably have ...

Re: Just some general questions

Something else I would suggest is that you find an outlet other than the practice room. Initially, you'll probably have to spend a fair amount of time practicing, just to get your chops back to a place where you can play, but if you don't find some kind of direction or goal, you may not stick with it very long. With that in mind, look into a community band if you have one nearby. Most junior colleges have some kind of community band program that you can get involved in once you get back to a point where you can play and read music well enough, and that will give you the direction you need to persevere.

Personally, my playing has always been ensemble and performance oriented - if I didn't have some kind of gig or performance somewhere near on the horizon, at this point in my life I'd probably hang it up for good. I've been with the horn fairly consistently for about 34 years. I started in school in 5th grade at age 11, so I always had the next chair placement tryout or band concert to push toward, along with regular rehearsal time. In high school there were solo and ensemble music contests and honor bands, as well as the occasional church performance, and after high school there was the Army band program, (10 years) Latin bands, big bands, wedding bands, weddings, and other church gigs. The point is, I was always involved, always had a direction, and always tried to keep a gig or performance on the horizon - it's what pushes me to keep my chops in shape and stay on top of the music that I'll eventually be performing. Looking back, I see it as an essential element toward any musical endeavor I've undertaken.

I know some people who are content to be practice room players, but I never was, and with as busy as life can be, if there isn't a direction forward, it's easy to simply stop and put it away in lieu of other endeavors that are going to have some kind of payoff for your time.

Good luck with it and keep us posted! Welcome to the forum!
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend

Ditto on community band, you'll relearn a lot and it is always more fun to play with others, Jazz is in the player not the horn. Be very carefull N+1 hits hard
    1958 Holton B47-1953 Holton collegiate-70's or 80's T602 collegiate-cecilio 3 series extreamly modified-1948 king baritone

Forte User

Welcome to TrumpetMaster, niceguy! It's never too late to get back into playing. You'll get lots of great advice from some remarkably accomplished trumpeters here. My two cents worth is this: You will face occasional major discouragement from within. Overcoming this is part of the challenge of not only trumpet playing, but life itself. Stick with it and know that you will always have support here at TM.
    bumblebee likes this.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Piano User
    Spokane, WA USA

That horn ought to be good enough for awhile. Lessons, sure. Finding a beginner-friendly community band might be an excellent next step, once you're recovered your basic ability. They exist for both concert and jazz music.

Never too late. Took a 25 year hiatus and picked it up at 43! Get a Getzen Severinsen if you want a great jazz horn. I would recommend a Getzen 900H but they are truly rare and seldom sold.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

Welcome to TM, niceguy. Best wishes in your comeback.

Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information