Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just Some More Questions in the General forums; So I'm over here using this "practice quiet" thing, but for marching band I am usually outplayed in volume by ...
    Pianissimo User

Just Some More Questions

So I'm over here using this "practice quiet" thing, but for marching band I am usually outplayed in volume by the other first trumpets and our contest show has alot of FF and some FFF in it. "Rise and Fall of Rome"

Now will praticing quiter still help me with this or will I need to add excercises where I play louder to help with this?

Here is another good question I thought of today. When I hear people like Maynard play those screeching high notes, is that their full range or just what they can play loudly? I have this thing where my lips can play these higher notes but if I try to add the air support and make it louder or even take notes to get to FF and FFF for our contest pieces, the note will fall down on me so I can't play it. Is it a common problem or something that happens with everyone and is there a way to fix it?

Also what do people mean when they say most people can't buzz any of the notes above like a double C or whatever it is? How do you make a note without buzzing?

Thanks Rowuk...your the best :)
    Last edited by john7401; 08-04-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Just Some More Questions

If your goal is to "outblast" then you have turned trumpet into a sports activity. Practicing softly builds chops in a healthy way. You can add loud parts to the MIDDLE of your daily practice routine. Be sure that you do not beat yourself up.

Any great high note player can "squeek out" even higher notes than they use in performance. They don't because they are of no musical value.

If you have trouble, it could very well be that your breath support is not up to snuff. practicing softly still needs the big strong breath and a well supported upper register.

I think your question about the buzz only applies to using the mouthpiece alone. The mouthpiece does not have the resonant character of a mouthpiece/horn and thus adds no support for extreme register. That is physics, not a problem.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information