Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tobylou8
  • 1 Post By mgcoleman
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Just A Thought... in the General forums; Hey Guys and Gals, I was watching NBC's "The Voice" last night when a commercial came on advertising a new ...

Just A Thought...

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I was watching NBC's "The Voice" last night when a commercial came on advertising a new show coming on next called "The Winner Is". I immediately thought, "Geez, not another reality show with singers.". Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good singer just as much as the next person, but wouldn't it be nice to have a show with musicians(especially trumpet players) competing for the prize? Would that be too much to ask? I know there's America's Got Talent, but has anyone ever seen a musician on the show competing? And, nine times out of ten, it's a singer who takes the prize at the end anyway. Again, just a thought. I wouldn't consider myself one to compete in a show of such, but I'm sure there are folks such as yourselves who would give it a pretty good run for the money.

Re: Just A Thought...

It would be nice, but as long as I've been watching, it's always about the singer. "Why?" is a loaded question but I think it's because anyone can sing that has breath in their lungs and can "hope", just maybe I can win. It's all about identification. Few identify with brass musicians.
    mgcoleman likes this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Re: Just A Thought...

I believe one big driver is that every person has the ability to sing. Sing well? I didn't say that...just sing - that fact, coupled with words/melodies that are familiar, make for an audience less likely to identify with instrumentalists. We see the same outcome on the radio - the vast majority of the air time involves singers, something your average Joe Schmoe thinks they can actually do.

On side note and maybe I am just being cynical, but I find it amazing how brutally critical the average viewer can be when you hear them talking about some of the specific performances on these shows. It takes some guts to perform in front of an audience and that's not mentioning the presence of a national TV audience. People know the words, they know the tunes and they somehow think it would be easy.
    Last edited by mgcoleman; 06-11-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Toby nailed it - I type too slowly!!!
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Thread Information