Trumpet Discussion Discuss Ka like Ta in the General forums; I am having problems getting the second half of the double tounge to sound as clear and crisp as the ...
    Pianissimo User

Ka like Ta

I am having problems getting the second half of the double tounge to sound as clear and crisp as the first. It sounds good when I go fast but when I slow it down there is a distinct difference between the sounds of single and double tounging. I have tried several methods to prevent this but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks---Jared
    "I just want you to nail the pee-whillies out of that high C." -Our beloved director-
    Jim Culbertson-Decatur MacArthur

Fortissimo User
    If you're going that slow, why not just single tongue "ta - ta - ta"?

Pianissimo User
    I can single toungue it that slow but I want to be able to double toungue that slow so that it sounds near perfect at a medium tempo. I guess I want to be able to perfect it slow so there is no "rocking" back and fourth so that when I speed it up it is flawless.

Jared
    "I just want you to nail the pee-whillies out of that high C." -Our beloved director-

New Friend
    Okidokie... First of all, I think that probably you are being too hard on yourself. My advice would be for you to practice repeated notes. Bugler's Holiday is perfect. Also...it's trickery. Try taping yourself. I bet that your projected sound doesn't limp as much as you think. Hmmmm... also... you don't have to slap the roof of your mouth as hard as you think in order to achieve the desired effect. It is not a deliberate act. If you think too hard about it, you will never be pleased with the result.

Personally, I do not think of double tonguing as a rocking motion. It occurs farther back in the mouth for me, and happens even quicker when I tongue off my top lip and use PLENTY of air. I'm no expert... I'm just much quicker than I used to be... Hope this helps you.
    Meg
    I play the best instrument in the whole ferreeeeaakin' world!

Equinox by Eclipse, UK
    Bach 37
    GR65.6 C
    G66**
    NorthernBrass66****

Allen Vizzutti has some AWESOME exercises in his Trumpet Method - Book 1, pages 78 - 119. I highly recommend the entire Method (3 books)!

Multiple tonguing utilizes two principles, both of which involve the "release" of air to start the note. One note is released by the tongue, the other is released by the throat (like a cough), which in reality still involves the tongue. It needs to be perceived as being "forward", and the "flow" of the airstream is very important. (I'm sure that's exactly what Buzz is talking about, when she says use PLENTY of air.)

Keep at it... you'll get there!

Best always,
    Bruce

Pianissimo User
    So it is ok if the second half is more of an air attack mostly created with the throat with help of the toungue? That is what seems like is happening right now...

Thanks so far---Jared

Thread Information