Trumpet Discussion Discuss Kennan Trumpet Sonata in the General forums; Hi Manny, For my first jury since going back to school, my trumpet teacher suggested I try a piece I ...

Kennan Trumpet Sonata

Hi Manny,

For my first jury since going back to school, my trumpet teacher suggested I try a piece I haven't played or heard before. After going through a large stack of pieces and me responding with "already performed it" or I know this piece he finally found the Kennan Sonata. I had heard of the piece, but never saw the music or heard it performed.

I will be performing the first movement. I got a recording of the piece with Scott Thornburg playing and have worked on it the last couple of days. I know there is a lot of time and meter changes throughout the piece. Do you have any general advice of what to watch for or how to approach this piece? For any other readers please feel free to chime in.

I would like to say that this forum has helped me greatly in the last 18 months since I started playing again. Manny has given some great advice on sound production and trumpet playing in general. One example is when I'm playing a rehearsal with a lot of high note such as a big band, I hear the pitches in my head and just let them play instead of worrying about my chops. This has improved my endurance greatly and I miss less notes.

Thank you.

Utimate User
    There's nothing specific I have to say about this piece other than it must be approached with a bold charcter and tempered by a good, energetic piano dynamic when needed. The 16th's must have a good snap, on the later side when preceeded by the dotted 8th. It's a good piece to study although not one of my favorites.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    If you can get the older version, get it and do that one, instead. Beaming is a bit bizarre in spots, (really just more of a visual problem than anything else) but just keep the eighth constant throughout the shifting meters and that's not a problem. I say that because the ending is far different; a whole section is just chopped out and that really bothers me musically.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Thread Information