Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A lamentable story for all classical musicians in the General forums; As everyone else responded - do not be led astray by this event. Even consummate professionals encounter boorish audience behavior. ...
    Ithaca NY

Re: A lamentable story for all classical musicians

As everyone else responded - do not be led astray by this event. Even consummate professionals encounter boorish audience behavior. I don't believe it is wise to use the student body as a captive (forced to attend) audience, for it only encourages the kind of actions you witnessed. Like any other "assembly", there are many in attendance who object to being there. Your school should schedule concerts for parents, other schools (elementary, middle, other districts) and the community. You would not experience the same attitudes in those.
    Please don't give up your dream. Music is a wonderful gift and getting to teach it is an even greater gift. For many of us, music in all its forms - performing, listening, composing, teaching, is the most important thing in our lives. In times of darkness, music brings light. When you are afraid, music brings you courage. When you are lonely, music brings companionship. When you are ill, music heals. Music will bring you sanity when all around you there is craziness. Music is a divine force that can propel you through all phases of life.
    So ignore the boors and go for it! You will not regret it.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

This is a totally different tack. I started to study to be a music teacher until I went to visit a school, while at Uni. that did not have an appreciation for the Arts. I love music so I made a decision that I could not bear working in such an environment. I changed to general Primary teaching and love the decision.So many of my friends who were good players and became music teachers no longer play and have a deadened love of music. I play every day and gig regularly. I come home from work and practice to relax. I still get a great deal of joy out of practicing and playing after 36years of playing. i don't think I would say that if I had become a music teacher.
    My motto 'Only pursue something if you can accept the actions of others. If their actions make you want to change your course in life, maybe you should take another path'.
    Motto 2 Mr Holland's Opus was made in Disneyland.
    This may seem somewhat pessimistic as I am aware that there must be many great moments in any teaching experience.

Chilhowie, VA

Listen to every word veery says. He is right on it. Also, when you get to college, it will be different. I went to James Madison University this year for state auditions, and the atmosphere is worlds different. Everyone in a college music program, for the most part, loves what they do and tries their hardest at it. Do what I'm doing, stick it out until college.

1. The version found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa

Bill S.- NY and Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets, Bach "C" cornet, NY Bach trombone 6vii, Schilke G and Yamaha Eb, Bb/A and flugelhorn. Warburton and Monette mouthpieces.

Honolulu, HI

YT -

If music is what you love, don't give up yet! I am extremely sad for you that you had to experience that scenario before you even got to college, but that kind of situation is what sometimes pushes people to pursue what they love even more and sets them on fire to reach that goal.

I also agree that veery's post has so many great points. Once you become a teacher, you may find on several occasions that you may be the only source of light to a student. You may be the only teacher who shared something meaningful to students who had only despair in their lives. Music gives hope to many who find that there is no other sanctuary in this world. I have been an educator for 13 years and find this to be true the longer I teach.

Keep looking for inspirational sources to keep your dream alive. Try out for all-state, select groups, go to other schools' concerts, etc. and see if all those really make you want to experience more. Do whatever you can to improve yourself on your trumpet playing. If, by doing all this and more, you still find yourself wanting more, you are well on your way to becoming a great music teacher. That's where it starts -- within you.

As many have already stated, don't let some boorish, rude and inconsiderate individuals take away your aspirations. All we can do for those types of people is to try to win them over with some small part of the music we play. If you love what you are doing, it is worth sticking with. Bravo to you for having the maturity to stand by your conductor. You are the student that every music director wishes they had. Good luck with everything.

"I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it."

~from "The Shawshank Redemption"

There is all sort of great advice here.
    Being a successful teacher involves much more than competence in the field of your choice. Capturing diverse kids attention requires skills ranging from clown to saint.
    If your heart is into teaching, this is a good example of what you are getting into. If you are up to the challenge, go for it. You can't save the world, but you can give students perspective and THAT is sometimes more important!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Corpus Christi, TX

There is a lot of great stuff here. I agree with pretty much what everyone else said. I would just add that, in a high school the kind of environment that is established and the kind of student behavior that is present is a direct reflection of the teachers and administrators of the school. I'm very surprised that this kind of behavior was tolerated. I would definitely speak with a "higher up" about it. If you let parents know about it, they might even be able to spark a change of culture in your school if they approach the school board and get them into action. I was once a music education major (and I still teach in the public schools on occasion), and the onus is on the teachers. I feel sorry for you that you have to attend a school with this kind of negative atmosphere.

In any case, like what everyone else has already said, don't let this one incident get you down. Teaching music is and will always be a difficult thing in the public schools. You'll have budget issues to deal with, you'll have student attitudes, nightmare parents and paperwork beyond belief....but it can all be worth it if you can impact another person's life in a positive way through music. And if you're the one in charge of the music program, it can be up to you to "change the culture" surrounding music. One of the biggest challenges to high school teaching is motivating students to "want" to learn. But if you're successful, you can be the role model teacher that you've dreamed about wanting to be. I have the greatest respect for public school music teachers, and frankly, we need more of them if we're ever going to incite a change of culture surrounding classical music in the USA.

Stick it out and I wish you the best of luck.

Piano User
    White Marsh, VA

One more "lick" here YT:
    Go to a good college with a music program (like real soon) and listen to one of their concerts, journeys, faculty will blow you out of the water. I finally did it, went to VCU's faculty concert & fall concert, inspired me to practice harder, love music more, and even though I'll never be able to go back 30 years to "fix" a mistake I made in choices, it was such a relief to hear kids can & do still play music. Without good teachers to inspire and nurture that, those nights this fall, also, would have been lost.....power through high school young trumpeter, stay on target, it WILL get better.......chuck (at 51)
    "I don't take my music lightly, I want it crushed by the horn section."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information