Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss large vs. small in the General forums; You are getting great advice from the posts above. Just to reiterate, bore is less important than how the horn ...

Re: large vs. small

You are getting great advice from the posts above. Just to reiterate, bore is less important than how the horn feels and responds to you. Bore is just one facet in a multitude of factors like leadpipe, bell, mouthpiece etc.

Just something I have observed --I think a number of H.S. players want a L bore horn because it seems macho (well, at least for the male players). There is something about saying "my large bore horn still has trouble handling all of the power I put into it." Realize that pro players are about getting a horn that is best matched to them. Let me give you an example. My idol was Maynard Ferguson. Heard of him? Had a huge sound and tremendous power. Guess what he played during what many call his "very best" years. A Constellation 38B. It is a small bore horn. Yes! However, it has a large bell (5 1/4 inches) -and with the other specs -it was the horn for him. I have a "copy" of the Connstellation and it is a very open, free blowing horn. I think it takes more air than most of my MLs, even though it is small bore. Bet not too many of the guys bragging about needing a large bore would have out blown Maynard. At any rate, that said, there are folks who do need a large bore horn. But you would be well advised to try a ML and go from there. Playing them is the only way you will know.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

South Salem, NY

Here is a piece of information you may find interesting:
    Bach use the same pistons on all the C, Bb and D Stradivarius models, ML and L. That is, the bore through the piston of the Medium Large bore is the same as the bore through the piston of the L bore.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Randolph, New Jersey

Right on, bro! That was my point exactly; we play a trumpet and not a number read from calipers. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts and bore size is simply one of many variables.
    1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    ...Just to reiterate, bore is less important than how the horn feels and responds to you... Playing them is the only way you will know.
    I think the theme here is all converging onto the same point. Perhaps this analogy may drive the point home, boys and girls, you would not pick a girl or boy because of their big.... EYES! No the eyes are less important than how the mate feels and responds to you... Playing [life’s events with] them is the only way you will know.

The trumpet is like your love, you will just know you have met the right one when you play and feel it. Just as in real life size does NOT matter
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

I often ask why questions like this are posted. A minimal amount of google usually brings tons of similar answers. I can't help but think that the varied opinions common to any "community" like TM will only confuse the uninitiated.

My personal take is that beginners start with STANDARD student horns, rugged and easy to play. Check any of them today - medium to lightweight, medium large bore. I also believe that if we stick to name brand horns, there is almost NOTHING that can go wrong for the first 4-5 years. During that time, we build skills and musical taste that will help us with future decisions. I also recommend taking a second set of ears that you can trust - a trumpet teacher or MUCH better player that can keep the decision based on sound and playability instead of shiny.

There is no way that we can "read enough" to make an intelligent purchase. We need solid hands on monitored by players that know better.

Bore is really a non issue. It is so insignificant when compared to material, bracing, leadpipe, mouthpiece and most important of all, how well developed the player is.

good luck
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information