Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Laser Tone in the General forums; Originally Posted by tobylou8 JET-TONE custom model 1B. It touches the receiver in most all my trumpets. I cannot use ...

Re: Laser Tone

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    JET-TONE custom model 1B. It touches the receiver in most all my trumpets. I cannot use it in my ST-302. It bottoms out and "rolls" around. I read that the early ones came with a reamer so the player could open up the throat. I just wonder if the same is true for the length. I love it for it's intended purpose.
    THe 1-4 sizes went in order from shallowest to deepest. The 'A' rim was the flattest, the 'B' the second flattest, the 'C' was the roundest, and the 'D' rim was more like a Bach rim with the higher point towards the inside. I prefer the 'C' rim out of all of them.. pretty wide and cushiony and doesn't pin the chops like the 'A' rim. The 1-4 where pretty big diameters. I prefer the 5-8 models.. 5 being the shallowest and 8 being the deepest. I love the 5C jet-tone and the 7C jet-tone is a great all around piece.. I think the diameter of those is like a .620. Lynn Nicholson played a 1A on the MF recording 'At the Top' in the 70's.. The one where he played the famous McArthur Park solo with the triple F.

My diameter measures 19/32 or 15.25 mm. I don't know the history behind the horn, a Conn 60B, or the mpc. I "stole" if from a French horn player for $100!!!!! He lived in the Orlando area for awhile and bought it at a pawn shop! Was it custom ordered by a player from the area? Who knows? I am just happy to have it!
    Recursion likes this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Mezzo Forte User

Hi JNINWI,
    You stated:
    "This is interesting…. In the music world I grew up in, If someone said you had “Laser Chops” that was a compliment, it meant that they really liked your sound. If someone said to you “ Man, I have laser chops tonight”, that means he is having a real good night of playing. This is the first time I’ve heard someone use this definition other than in a positive way. JMO Don Thomas has killer laser chops…his lead sound is incredible, I can listen to him all day…..
    -----
    I think we're on two (maybe three) different things. Some would say "Chops" are the person's skill set and abilities. Possibly laser chops being an exact, superior, on the money set of skills. Maybe laser chops is a singular event as in a very good night of performing. One of the first uses I'd heard was Louis Armstrong speaking of "Chops" as the person's skills and not so much their tone.
    Laser tone/Laser chops might be two different things (or two sides of the same coin) depending on when and where a person grew up.
    Don's skill set definately falls under laser chops. If you listen to Don & John play together (Father & Son) you can hear that Don's sound (tone) is thick and warm where John's sound (tone) is more like a laser in that it comes across as piercing, sharp, direct, and penetrating.
    Damned, sound is hard to describe using words. I can save time and words and just play my interpretation of laser tone and then my interpretation of warm (not at the same time!), but I can't describe it very well. JNINWI, we're on the same page when you said, I could listen to Don all day. The guy could sing through the horn. Maybe Don is one of those rare examples that spectrally didn't have too much bright or dark. He's like the little bear's porage, not to hot, not too cold, it's just right.
    Dr.Mark
    JNINWI and Recursion like this.

I agree with everything you say Doc. Johns sound is definitely brighter. Equipment plays a little part in this, although I think the oral cavity geometry of each player is the biggest contributor. Johns normal air stream is very concentrated and defined. You can hear it in his sound. This gives his sound a ton of projection. Don’s air is not as defined and this gives him his incredible warm rich sound, and less projection than John, this is not a negative at all just observation. Like I said I can listen to Don all day, love his sound. Warm and rich is a more spread out sound where laser is more concentrated. A good example is like comparing your airstream to the difference between a spot light and a floodlight. It all goes back to how your oral cavity forms the airstream. A guy who’s airstream is normally concentrated can create a warm rich sound easier than a guy who’s air is less concentrated trying to create the Laser lead sound. : )
    tobylou8 likes this.
    8va

Mezzo Forte User

Bingo!!
    I think we've come to the same conclusion from different directions. Yes, I think the oral cavity can be equated to a violin body. The smaller it gets, the less deep and round is the sound. Also, it appears that John uses more air compression when compared to his Dad. To me, both are trumpet immortals.
    I like the spotlight/floodlight analogy. It makes a lot of sense.
    Well Batman, I think we've solved this mystery and Gotham is safe again. It's time to knock back a few Delirium Tremens and call it a day.
    Dr.Mark
    tobylou8 likes this.

Do they have Delirium Tremens in a dark beer ? If so I'll take one !! Nice chatting with you Dr. Mark !!
    8va

Utimate User

Aha! Now I know what my problem is. A full upper denture has modified my oral cavity and thus my tonation.

That makes total sense Mr. Lee !
    8va

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information