Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Last Post in the General forums; In our non denomiational chapel service sunday the 9th we(two trumpets) will play last post(taps) O Canada & America the ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Last Post

In our non denomiational chapel service sunday the 9th we(two trumpets) will play last post(taps) O Canada & America the beautiful. I had an experience in the Marine Corps Band where they wanted ny horn to put in the grave with the flag & the deceased. I escaped in the funeral directors hearse. jim

Pianissimo User
    Melbourne, Australia

I'm playing the Last Post in the middle of the city. It's gonna be interesting. At 10:58, a cop is gonna walk out and stop the traffic, and 10:59, I have to march out into the intersection, and at 11:00, I gotta give it a red-hot go!

Pianissimo User
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Canuck View Post
    Last Post is a privilege to play BUT Remembrance Day(Nov. 11) can provide many issues, especially if you are playing outside in Canada. I've had my valves freeze (not that big a problem), my MP almost freeze to my lips (real problem) and snow swirling around my feet(not a huge problem but uncomfortable).

The worst part of the process is waiting what seems to be forever while the piper plays a lament and then playing Rouse.

I'm not booked this year, first time in many!
    Hey, you shouldn't be complaining, we've got worse weather right now. We have a rainstorm while your in 15+ degrees sun!

Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada

Hi All,

The Left Coast weenies in Vancouver have it easy compared to playing the Last Post in Northwestern Ontario or worse yet, Winnipeg Now that is for the truly stout of heart. Tip:
    vodka can keep you warm inside and your valves de-iced.

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Rochester, NY

Hello fellow Canuck's and others.
    I hear all of your comments, and totally agree. Last post is often an emotional thing, and it is good to be able to keep the emotion under control while you're playing. Usually not a problem for me, with one exception. Being in the military, you've gotta play lots of these. The hardest was for a military funeral. The guy died when his 18 tonne truck rolled. He was only about 22.
    Ya kinda get used to the emotions on Remembrance/Veterans Day, but I've never gotten used to the emotion when there's a unexpected loss. Nobody sees it coming...
    I'm in the states this year, but I think I may try to get my class to stop for a couple min to observe anyway.
    We will never forget...

Central Jersey

i played last night in the courtyard of my apartment complex. ppl came to the windows and opened their doors. i was expecting to be yelled (or shot) at but when i was done they went back to what they were doing without a peep. it was a sureal moment.
    Ed Con...

1890's (est) LeFever "691" Cornet
    1910 Grand Rapids Inst. Co. "USA Line" Baritone
    1920's (est) Harwood "Artist Solo Model" Cornet
    1954 Olds (LA) "Ambassador" Cornet
    1956 Olds (EF) "Ambassador" Trumpet
    1989 Selmer "Bundy" Trumpet
    2007 Kanstul "KSB100" 3-Valve Bugle

"Villains always have antidotes... they're funny that way. "

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I played a pretty decent rendition, I think, in my living room, by myself( not counting the cats) , yesterday afternoon. Good way to remember the occaision and too cold to serenade the neighborhood. ( I do enough of that in the summer)
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

The whole band class went by and the director never said anything
    about it. I'll give him the what for!

I played in the our shop yesterday, by the time I was done guys had turned their machines off and were quiet.

Never expected that but my hats off to them for recognizing the piece and what it stands for.
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

New Jersey

First, to Chuck, thanks for posting the piece. I printed a copy off for myself.

Being a Yankee I was not familiar with this piece. Yet as a history buff I appreciate all that the former Commonwealth sacrificed for the Crown in WW1 and at other times. So this was a great thread for me to read and become educated by.

So I printed out a copy, took it to my community band practice last night, (sorry I missed the 11th hour) and played it as my bandmates were entering. I got lots of questions and comments and then passed it around the trumpet section and several others had a go at it. I hope that helps honor your fallen.

1972 Getzen Eterna Severinson
    1953 Olds Special Trumpet
    Couesnon Monopole Cornet-Trompette
    Lyon & Healy silver Piston Eb Cornet
    A. Squire Cincinnatti Eb Cornet
    1938 Martin Imperial Handcrafted Trombone
    1914 C.G. Conn U.S. Navy Trombone
    1912 USQMC Eb C.G. Conn Eb Alto HOrn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information