Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Latin resonance in the General forums; I had the privilege of taking several lessons with Victor about 10 years ago. He could certainly be a little ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Latin resonance

I had the privilege of taking several lessons with Victor about 10 years ago. He could certainly be a little intimidating. Making arrangements for my first lesson, he instructed me to knock clave on his door. "It can be 2-3 or is your choice." Arriving at his apartment in Queens on what was an unseasonably warm September day, I walked the 7 flights rather than wait for the elevator. I arrived at his door winded and perspiring. I knocked clave (3-2 rhumba clave, if memory serves) and waited. He opened the door and stared at me in silence for several uncomfortable seconds, then he said: "I can hear your heart beating from here." He then invited me inside and we talked briefly about what I hoped to accomplish. He looked briefly and uninterestedly at my equipment and then said: "Can you play a G in the staff?" A bit nonplussed, I replied that of course I could play a G in the staff. Again he asked if I could play a G in the staff. Again I replied that I could. He then asked once again if I could play a G in the staff. "Yes!....I can play a G in the staff!" I said. "Fine" he replied "I will count you in." He began to conduct a slow 4. A millisecond before I played the note he stopped me and said "No're off already." We continued along those lines for about half an hour. Finally with his hand on his forehead and somewhat of a weary face, he said "Play me something....anything you like." More than a little frustrated at this point, I gave him the first 8 bars of "Tenderly" as lush and beautiful and powerful as I could. After I finished, he sat silent for a few seconds, then smiled broadly and said "Senor, you have a beeeeyoootiful sound............but you don't know what to do with it! But it is alright because I will teach you."

Teach.....he sure did. Fabulous sound....not a wall, not huge, just clear and beautiful and even from low F# to double D. In the section you wanted to sound like him, which is one reason he was such a great lead player. The other thing was his time........everything was subdivided, the subdivisions were subdivided etc., etc. His words on the subject: "When your time has become developed, you become as a magnet for the rest of the band."

Words to live by.

New Friend

Re: Latin resonance

To my ear, the latin trumpet sound is characterized by pretty extreme resonance, in many ways very similar to great orchestral playing.

Jason Pellett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information