Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lazy Tounge (sp?) in the General forums; Yes, I have a lazy tounge (sp?). Anyway, anybody have any exercises to make my tounge more agile because my ...
    Pianissimo User
    Gordonsville, TN

Lazy Tounge (sp?)

Yes, I have a lazy tounge (sp?). Anyway, anybody have any exercises to make my tounge more agile because my attacks are a bit muttled and dull.
    King Silver Flair 2055S
    Getzen 770 SG Gold Series
    Bundy Series II cornet

Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education. -Plato

New Friend
    online pharmacy -

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Arban, Clarke, Arban, Clarke...did I mention Arban and Clarke?

Go to p. 26 in Arban. Play no. 13 2 ways: as written, then reverse the dotted eighth and sixteenth to a scotch snap (16th dotted eighth). Go to p. 32, take your pick of either 28 or 29; play them slowly, being sure of the quality of each attack and listening for consistency. Then move to no.s 30 and 31; double dot the eighth in no. 31. p. 34, #33, and so on. Keep working on reducing rhythmic values; then build speed.

In your Clarke Technical studies, beign with the second study, and articulate it; turn it into dotted eighth-sixteenths and scotch snaps. Play with these rhythms throughout. In the Fourth study (is that the trill one? I'm not looking at it right now), try for dotted 16th and 32nds.

At the beginning of the Clarke Characteristic studies are also some great excercises to try.

Be creative with your scales, too. Try various combinations of dotted rhythms and triplets, epecially when doing scales in 3rds.

Ok. Now go get busy!
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

First make everything even. Just because the notes are tongued doesn't mean that they are attacked harder or softer.

You are blocking the air stream when you tongue NOT pushing or starting anything. Tonguing is stopping something. When the air moves the tongue out of the way the sounds returns.

So the air needs to be constant and steady.

Problems such as yours are common with people who literally stop blowing when they tongue and try to both breath articulate and tongue articulate at the same time. That is WAAAAAY harder than it needs to be.

Blow a gentle steady stream of air against the back of your hand. And concentrate on how it feels on the hand. Now keep the stream steady and start saying your tonguing syllable ta, da, whichever one you are using based on the TYPE of tonguing style you are working on. Make sure the feel stays consistent and not jerky or one time hard and others soft. The tongue movement when right feels like the tongue is on a track and it just follows the track and gently moves. Gentle but quick.

When that feels good then do the same tongue feel while playing 1 note like a second line g and tonguing over and over.

This process can fix severe tonguing issues in an hour.

New Expanded Range Arban at
    Plus my other books at
    Free Trumpet Ezine at

It is the Smart application of hard work that gets you there.

Piano User
    Toronto Canada
    Try tripple tounging. THeres nothing more agile then that
    Those who are jealous of me have no sucess;
    Those who are my equal may be kindred.
    mmccourt and schilke b6 may consume my leavings.

Thread Information