Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lead trumpet players in the General forums; When I started out with lead playing one of the things I did was transcribing the lead part of a ...
    Piano User
    the Netherlands

Re: Lead trumpet players

When I started out with lead playing one of the things I did was transcribing the lead part of a particular chart I liked. Then I started to play along with the record and tried to swing as hard as the leadplayer did.

I really can recommend playing along with Al Porcino (Terry Gibbs Dream Band) or Snooky Young, Conrad Gozzo, etc.

Playing this lead charts also helps with developing lead chops (endurance).

I learned most leadplaying skills by playing 2nd trumpet next to a great leadplayer and try to blend as good as it gets. But when that's not possible, playing along with records is 2nd best.

Piano User

How about Bobby Shew? He is a great teacher and player.He lives in Albuquerque now. I know that he is on the road a lot, but how much closer can you get? If youy want to learn more about lead and commercial playing he is the man!

Bobby is also prompt in returning emails. Although I have not studied with Bobby privately, I have had numerous conversations with him over the years. There are a couple of guys that I know that studied with him and they are both wonderful all around players.

And recordings that you could listen to would be "Swingin' New Big Band"- Buddy Rich, "Tales of a Cortesan" -Toshiko Akyoshi/Lew Tabackin Orchestra, "One in a Milliom" - Groovin' High Big Band, and one of my favorites: "Heavyweights" - Bobby Shew and Carl Fontana in a small group setting doing their jazz thing!

I was introduced to Bobby's playing on a small group jazz recording long ago. I didn't know that he was a lead player.I just liked the way that he played jazz!

His studio playing was all over the TV scene in the 70's. The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Mork and Mindy, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete Grimaldi

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Boy, this is an OLD thread....Nov 2004.

Anyway, listen to CDs by the Count Basie Orchestra with Mike Williams on lead. Swing Shift and Live at El Morrocco are good ones.

Also do a Google search for and article in the New Yorker magazine on Bernie Glow, maybe the best commercial lead player of them all.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Levittown , NY

I have been playing lead for such a long time with so many different bands including Jimmy Dorsey band led by Lee Castle Melba Liston`s big band with Slide Hampton Virgil Jones Benny Powel etc. I`ve been doing this with many local bands since 1975 ,.

Lts not forget Erik Veldkamp. He is a monster lead player that also has some extremely valuable posts here and more info at his website:

Welcome to the website of Erik Veldkamp
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Halifax, NS CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by eoliver View Post
    The key word is TEACHER, not player. Thanks,
    I would say that a good player can teach you many things if you just listen.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information