Trumpet Discussion Discuss Leadpipe Buzzing in the General forums; What kind of dynamics are generally recommended for lead pipe buzzing. One player has told me that he buzzes at ...
    Piano User

Leadpipe Buzzing

What kind of dynamics are generally recommended for lead pipe buzzing. One player has told me that he buzzes at FFF, making sure he gets a round sound out of the pipe , without any"grain" in the sound. Another player tells me that playing at a strong dynamic like that would cause the aperture to open up too much--causing problems later on.

What have been your experiences with "leadpipe" buzzing?

New Friend
    Well the use of leadpipe buzzing is to set up the standing wave with the pipe... something not possible with the mouthpiece.

We all use an open aperture when playing, and when you play louder, it must get bigger... The point of playing at FFF is to open and relax the throat, creating that AHHH trumpet sound. Without an open throat, playing loud will sound pinched, whereas it should sound full. So yes, by all means use FFF when on the pipe, as you'll never use that in a real situation, except marching band and Shostakavich...

And to best use the pipe... buzz until you have EFFORTLESS ENERGY, where you fell like you could buzz for hours like that. Also, put the pipe up against a mirror and try to create huge circles of steam... LIKE 3" circles!

Central Washington University
    Student of John Harbaugh

Bach 37-25LR
    Getzen 3071C (soon to be Bach 229/25H)
    CKB 3C

Mezzo Piano User
    Bloomington, Indiana
    In general, I agree with reverselead. However, there are a lot of variables in my own playing development and those of my students that might cause me to change things on the leadpipe from time to time: hard or soft attack, breath attack or tongued, volume (anywhere from mp-ff), quality of sound (timbre) etc.

In general, you want the leadpipe sound to be big, full, and singing with lots of resonance and core...just like the trumpet sound.

Mezzo Piano User
    Here's a different view:
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Thread Information