Trumpet Discussion Discuss Leadpipe Inserts in the General forums; I have seen a lot of people who play with leadpipe inserts and claim that it makes the horn play ...
    Pianissimo User
    Boston, MA

Leadpipe Inserts

I have seen a lot of people who play with leadpipe inserts and claim that it makes the horn play much better. What exactly are they supposed to improve? If anything, how does it work?

“I am in the present. I cannot know what tomorrow will bring forth. I can know only what the truth is for me today. That is what I am called upon to serve, and I serve it in all lucidity.”
    -Igor Stravinsky

Monette STC-1 C Trumpet

Forte User
    Northern New York

Re: Leadpipe Inserts

Yeah...I use's called a mouthpiece!

Seriously...I don't use anything like that. I think you'll get more bang for your buck so to speak with different mouthpieces and leadpipe/bell combinations. Sounds a bit like "snake oil" (no reference to Will Spencer intended) to me.
    Last edited by tpter1; 01-02-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarification...
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Leadpipe inserts, like heavy valve caps and all of the "tune-up" items could go into a forum "Pimp my AX".
    As with any of these items, they change the sonic balance of the instrument. My experience with low-rider trumpets is: if you change one aspect, 2 others get changed in the other direction. Improving perceived slotting with valve caps made some horns that I tested not project as well and hurt the intonation.
    Instruments not designed "heavy" cannot keep their virtues AND be made more stable in response by simply adding weights. A complete redesign is necessary. Double blind testing is the only way to know for sure. The psychological side cannot be underestimated however...........
    The best fix that I have ever experienced on a Bach Bb or C trumpet was to give it a tuning bell and a soundpost to replace the front bell brace. The weight of the instrument stays the same, the intonation and response improve with little or no change in the sound. Spada does these modifications in Europe with GREAT success. If you like that standard Bach sound but want an easier playing experience - here is a great place to start! He has a documented proven record of success. No voodoo here!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

The theory is that the insert will give your lips a premature echo rather than waiting for the real one to come back from the bell, inproving response and endurance. I paid $35.00 for one and was pleased to learn that my horns were so good they didn't need the insert. And yeah, you won't see too many testimonials from the guys who didn't notice any improvement-- funny how that works, huh?
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information