Trumpet Discussion Discuss Leadpipe practice questions in the General forums; HI, I was doing leadpipe blowing practice (when you remove main slide completely and just play with MPC and lead ...
    Piano User

Leadpipe practice questions

HI, I was doing leadpipe blowing practice (when you remove main slide completely and just play with MPC and lead pipe only). It is ment to focus your sound and to improve your blowing. I figured that when I play low -than a lot of air is coming out of the lead pipe (I placed my palm at the end of the pipe to feel the air) but when I go up than the air decrases until almost notihng come s out -there is still sound coming out but very little air. Does this mean that I have serious range issues? Or is it just a normal thing?
    Last edited by frankmike; 07-28-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Pianissimo User

Re: Leadpipe practice questions

This is normal. We use less air in the higher ranges, more air in the lower ranges. The smaller the aperture the less air gets through.

When we use the leadpipe, we are not simulating anything that has to do with the horn unless we play extremely high where the leadpipe slots.

The biggest (perhaps only) advantage of using the leadpipe instead of just the mouthpiece is that you don't drool on your shoes. I do not recommend more than 5 minutes of this type of practice unless you are in the car. Making music is far more beneficial.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User

rowuk sez:
    The biggest (perhaps only) advantage of using the leadpipe instead of just the mouthpiece is that you don't drool on your shoes. I do not recommend more than 5 minutes of this type of practice unless you are in the car.
    -------------
    For me, playing the leadpipe serves at least a couple of purposes:
    1) It increases my sensitivity between my face and the horn. When I play the leadpipe, I can hear the pitch go up when I use the least amount of mouthpiece pressure.
    2)It helps me to remember which muscles are the "right" muscles to use.
    Arm muscles and mouthpiece pressure bad, Muscles at the corners of my mouth good.
    3)I also use leadpipe practice to practice circle breathing. It's hard as hell to maintain a constant unfluttering pitch playing leadpipe anyway. Now, couple that with circle breathing and you can imagine the control it takes to maintain a soft unwavering tone.
    Where does this skill cross over to actually playing? It helps me with the sensitivity of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    For me, playing the leadpipe serves at least a couple of purposes:
    1) It increases my sensitivity between my face and the horn. When I play the leadpipe, I can hear the pitch go up when I use the least amount of mouthpiece pressure.
    2)It helps me to remember which muscles are the "right" muscles to use.
    Arm muscles and mouthpiece pressure bad, Muscles at the corners of my mouth good.
    3)I also use leadpipe practice to practice circle breathing. It's hard as hell to maintain a constant unfluttering pitch playing leadpipe anyway. Now, couple that with circle breathing and you can imagine the control it takes to maintain a soft unwavering tone.
    Where does this skill cross over to actually playing? It helps me with the sensitivity of control.
    All factors present with plain old mouthpiece buzzing too. My "control" and "sensitivity" come from the very soft daily routine. My buzzing benefits "feeling" the tightening of the embouchure corners.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    All factors present with plain old mouthpiece buzzing too. My "control" and "sensitivity" come from the very soft daily routine. My buzzing benefits "feeling" the tightening of the embouchure corners.
    -------
    The element that appears to be missing when comparing the leadpipe and mouthpiece playing is the weight of the horn and holding the horn verses the weight of the mouthpiece and holding the mouthpiece.

Pianissimo User

For the first time ever i did some leadpipe 'buzzing' yesterday, and now have some question which i am quite concerned about. If i do a ascending scale the low notes come out really full and rich but then comes a point where there is a massive gap! i cannot play in that gap, its almost like the notes don't exist! then the sound comes back for the higher pitch notes which obviously arnt as full as the lower notes but they are still secure.

I was quite concerned as to why this happened yesterday and would like to know why this might have happened!
    Yamaha Xeno 20th Anniversary Edition
    Stomvi Elite Eb/D
    Yamaha 9835 Piccolo Trumpet

Warburton 4D/7* Backbore

Forte User

That's a great question and I don't readily have an answer as to why there's a gap between the low notes and the high note. It's the same with the digeridoo.

Thread Information