Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Learning trumpet in two months in the General forums; Learning how to play the trumpet takes a few hours (reading "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" CG) ...
    Old Lyme, Connecticut

Re: Learning trumpet in two months

Learning how to play the trumpet takes a few hours (reading "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" CG) and the like. Developing to play the trumpet correctly (easily) takes many years.
    It took the greatest player of all time, H.L. Clarke 5 years.
    Last edited by ultratrumpet; 06-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    rankamateur likes this.
    If you are lazy, forget the trumpet - Claude Gordon

Official website of Bill Knevitt

Piano User

Two Months??? Becoming "proficient?"

Not a chance.

How about a lifetime?

The suggestion that such a thing could be accomplished in a mere two months is almost offensive to all those who have spent their entire lives working to play and master the instrument.

Ever listened to a beginning band in an elementary school? Students who may be in 5th or 6th grade and have just started on an instrument? That's what it sounds like after two months...about the same even after the end of a year.

It takes years of time, patience, and proper practice, and usually private lessons, to get to the point where anyone can realistically call themselves "proficient" on trumpet.
    Last edited by DaveH; 06-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    rankamateur likes this.

Fortissimo User
    Lloyd Harbor NY.

Ummm, all the above and more.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Assuming rhythm is already learned, with a 24/7 great teacher it might be possible to make enormous strides in two months. Without a teacher, as a DIY project armed with nothing more than a couple of manuals, uhh, I don't think so. The potential to learn bad habits seeking short-term benefits is way too big. Theoretically, it is possible for all the oxygen in a room to move to a corner and suffocate us. Very unlikely, but having that happen is indeed one of the possibilities inherent in Brownian Motion. Learning to play well enough in two months DIY to perform in a high-school jazz band is, in my opinion, just about as likely.
    Dupac likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

When I got serious about my comeback last summer, it took me over a month of playing every day just to get back some semblance of pitch control. And I had over 10 years prior playing experience.

So much of playing the trumpet is muscle tone and control, not just your face but also your diaphram. That takes time to develop, even for the folks with the most musical talent.
    rankamateur likes this.

Merry Ol' England

Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    When I got serious about my comeback last summer, it took me over a month of playing every day just to get back some semblance of pitch control. And I had over 10 years prior playing experience.

So much of playing the trumpet is muscle tone and control, not just your face but also your diaphram. That takes time to develop, even for the folks with the most musical talent.
    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. And I agree with everything the other posters have said too.

Playing a trumpet, or any brass instrument, for that matter, may look easy. After all, it looks like you're just blowing into a metal tube and pressing three buttons, but as you say, the music is all to do with the strength, control and flexibility of the embouchure and the control of air - and both interlinked...and even then you've just got the notes. It takes even more to refine those notes and shape them to the tone and sound you want. For jazz work, that embouchure needs to be well trained and very flexible to hit those high notes without destroying the lips with pressure.

I'm just sorry we can't be more encouraging to the OP, but from nothing to 'proficient' in two months on a trumpet is a very tall order. I imagine it might be possible if moving from another brass instrument, say a trombone, in that time, but the trombone player would have an understanding of breath control and an already-developed embouchure to work with.

Having said that, I don't want to put the OP off, even though the time-frame is unrealistic, I'm taking to heart what TrumpetMD is saying about providing possible solutions.'s a long-shot but, duckwheaat, you could try something called an 'Immersion Protocol' sequence I once heard about on an information tape by a guy called Dan Lee Dimke. It doesn't sound pleasant, but if it is to be believed, it basically involves constant focus and input of the thing you want to learn until you simply break down any resistance to it, and progress becomes effortless. I haven't tried it, but it sounds oddly plausible. If you try it let me know how you do.

You can learn a lot these days from Youtube videos and the such-like, and there are DVDs and instruction manuals available. But playing a trumpet, I think you need a mentor of some sort, even if you don't want a teacher. It's difficult to teach yourself a brass instrument on your own, but I suppose, not entirely impossible.

Wow, you’ve taken on quite a challenge there ! Don’t be discouraged, hang in there and stick with it. Everyone is being honest with you here, and there are reasons for this:
    Trumpet is the most physically demanding instrument there is, It has the highest maintenance of any instrument, (meaning that it takes daily, devoted practice to maintain a good sound), and it takes the longest to learn. Not everyone has what it takes to play trumpet. Those of us that have find that we are in an elite group of people. So what your looking at is years of dedication to become “Proficient”. To play the third part in your Jazz band, well if you are dedicated for the time period you speak of, then I think your goal is a good one and if you practice as you say, you just might make this happen, and it would be a great goal for you to achieve ! And yes a teacher will help you not make the mistakes that you will make, (that we all have made ! ). Good luck and let us know how you are doing, we all here want to see you do this, we all realize you have bitten off a big chunk of meat !!!
    TrumpetMD and jjcousin like this.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

FWIW, I was moved to the 1st part in a fairly intermediate Jr HS/HS concert band after about three months of playing and never played anything but the 1st part from that point on until graduation (7th grade - 12th grade and in three different schools), so I guess one could say that I had an aptitude. Perhaps you have the same, one never knows. Please note, though, that I had a hard-nosed and very good teacher from the get-go.
    Last edited by kehaulani; 06-10-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK

I suppose it all depends on the what you mean by proficient! If we put it in Martial arts terms "proficient means Black Belt, all others belts lead unto the 1st Dan (Black Belt) then you really start learning the art. so could a novice become a black belt in 2 months. could maybe learn a few impressive moves but will get caught out with the first incident outside the box. like me I can play a lot of clips on the piano to demonstrate stuff to my pupils and some of those clips are a high level. but can I play the piano? NO! give me something of the same standard or even a lower standard and I am completely broadsided, my head know what is expected and my inner ear can hear what is expected but I do not have the physical ability to play it. (by tried to learn piano for a year and could never really get to grips with it, could never cut the string between my left and right hand, but was a natural on the trumpet, but still around a year to get Proficient enough on the horn to play on the 1st stand of count wind band).
    So what do you mean by proficient? have a realistic goal or you will just dissolution yourself and feel you're getting nowhere.
    Once again, best of luck.

ps. If I might suggest you work on tone production through air supply to (through) the horn and lip flexibility to stabilise your chops so you have some sort of control over them without abusing them to get the notes.
    I would be great to know how you are progressing, so maybe a regular progress report for all us old doubters :)
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    • Customised Schilke B6 Trumpet.
    • Monette BL4 S6

Trumpet Heroes
    • Doc Severinsen.
    • Maurice Andre.
    • Wynton Marsalis.
    • Jon Faddis.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    As a high school junior, the OP has a better understand of how to learn on his own. (At least compared to a typical fourth-grader.) That's why his age is an advantage.

The OP didn't ask people to comment on his chance of success, although I'm sure he appreciates any feedback. But what he primarily asked for were tips on how to approach this challenge.

Hi i didn't want to comment his chance of success. But learning yourself al the physics of trumpet playing without a teacher. Seems hard to me. I hope everything goes well for the OP and he gets into the band.
    The only tip i can give is get a teacher. Like a said you can teach yourself so many things the wrong way spending a lot of time undoing them.

TrumpetMD and Stefen like this.
    2000 Conn Constellation 52B
    Stagg 77TP Piccolo Trumpet
    1933 Conn 40B Vocabell
    2003 Jupiter JPT 416 pocket trumpet
    jozef lidl brno 4 valve rotary flugelhorn

1960-70's Conn 38

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information