Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Learning trumpet in two months in the General forums; Hey everyone, so as the title suggests, I need to learn how to play trumpet in two months for jazz ...
    New Friend

Learning trumpet in two months

Hey everyone, so as the title suggests, I need to learn how to play trumpet in two months for jazz band. I'm going to be a high school junior and have played percussion for 6 years, and upright bass for two so I do have a background in music.
    I was the bassist for jazz band this past year and got sick of it so I decided I wanted to play trumpet, so I got one from my school a couple days ago. How big is the learning curve on the trumpet and how long will it take me to become proficient? I have basically all day every day this summer to practice and learn it, so I'm hoping I'll be pretty decent come August, but I've been practicing an hour a day on it for the past three days and I still can't even really play an open C in tune (Or anywhere remotely close to it) and it's starting to bother me. Is this one of those things where it will just come to me after practicing for a few weeks? And how realistic is my goal of learning the instrument in two months? I know most of you are going to reply " GET A TEACHER" but I probably won't be able to during this summer because I'm already taking percussion lessons in preparation for marching DCI next summer, so I'm on my own during these two months. Any tips/replies/encouragement is GREATLY appreciated guys!

Re: Learning trumpet in two months

Sadly, you won't get very far in two months.
    You can only practice so much a day, even if you have the time. It takes time to build your muscles and muscle memory, etc. Along, with that, your range will be very small, and too small to play most anything anyone else will joe want to listen to.

Trumpet is just not an instrument you can pick up and play quickly
    John

http://www.noise4NOLA.org

Little Horns
    Jupiter 416 Pocket Trumpet
    2013 Corneta Traspositor C/Db
    Horns
    '32 Conn 40B Vocabell
    '32 Selmer Louis Armstrong Special
    '50 Blessing Super Artist

Bigger Horns
    2009 Phaeton Flugelhorn

Two months? Not a chance.
    ''I'm nearly as good as I need to be,
    but not nearly as good as I'd like to be".

~Wild Thing Trumpet~ Eclipse Enigma Trumpet ~
    ~Kanstul 1525 Flugel ~ Smith Watkins K2 Cornet ~
    ~ Besson Bugle ~ JP152 C Trumpet ~

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Welcome to TM, Duckwheaat!

Endurance takes time to build, and it sounds like you've broken down some muscles, so consider taking a day or two off. Start with small sessions of practice; rest between. The goal is to make the muscles tired but not exhausted. As for learning in two months, you will still be a beginner no matter how much you practice. The other trumpet players in the jazz band have been playing for years. Getting proficient is a matter of practice and experience. Good practice can shorten the learning curve, but experience takes time.

Good luck and have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

I guess that depends on what you consider "proficient" to mean.

The difference between trumpet and things like piano, drums, bass, etc is this:
    Instead of learning to play the instrument (like a Bass) with a trumpet YOU are the instrument. The horn is an amplifier.
    YOU make the buzz, not a string or a reed.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    I guess that depends on what you consider "proficient" to mean.

The difference between trumpet and things like piano, drums, bass, etc is this:
    Instead of learning to play the instrument (like a Bass) with a trumpet YOU are the instrument. The horn is an amplifier.
    YOU make the buzz, not a string or a reed.
    My youngest trumpet student's dad has even said that they might as well have bought a kazoo.
    As everyone else has said, you must build up strength in your embouchure. I would say that if that daily hour isn't bothersome now (and I would be jealous), keep at it. Learn to buzz those notes that aren't happening for you and play them with the same energy when you attach your amplifier (the trumpet) back on to the mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Two months? Not a chance.
    +1
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Pianissimo User

You do realize that the trumpet you have is almost certainly pitched in Bb and that is the concert pitch of an open C on this instrument, don't you?
    In 2 months you may be able to fill out part of the 3rd trumpet depending on the difficulty of the piece.
    Any teacher who reckons they can get you up to speed in 2 months will probably try to sell you some snake oil as well.
    Peter McNeill likes this.

Forte User

...I need to learn how to play trumpet in two months for jazz band...
    Good luck with that! Learning is never finished with the trumpet. Basic proficiency for limited performance potential comes faster or slower depending upon depth of understanding, thoughtfulness of practice, and talent.

How big is the learning curve on the trumpet and how long will it take me to become proficient?
    It is big and full of nuance. It is also humbling. If one accepts that there is much to learn and much skill to acquire, and then becomes appropriately teachable, proficiency will come sooner rather than later.

And how realistic is my goal of learning the instrument in two months? I know most of you are going to reply " GET A TEACHER" but I probably won't be able to during this summer because I'm already taking percussion lessons in preparation for marching DCI next summer, so I'm on my own during these two months. Any tips/replies/encouragement is GREATLY appreciated guys!
    It is probably not realistic, given your approach. You are setting yourself up to make mistakes that will slow or frustrate your progress. You may easily develop very bad habits and poor technique too. "GET A TEACHER"! Something like this may help, too: The Arban Manual - Bolvin Music Studios

Good luck. Jim
    Bb's: Bach 180S37 Stradivarius, Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic
    Bach 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

That would be like someone who just took up jogging to say they wanted to register for a competitive 5K event in 2 months with the expectation of winning.
    Last edited by gmonady; 06-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information