Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Left Handed in the General forums; I am a left hander learning to play on a right handed trumpet. While it is not all that difficult, ...
    Coffs Harbour NSW Oz

Left Handed

I am a left hander learning to play on a right handed trumpet. While it is not all that difficult, I am sure I would be more comfortable with a left handed model.

Are they all that hard to obtain? Would it be feasible to approach a manufacture to produce a particular model for a "Lefty" without it costing an arm and a leg? Or would it be too much drama?

Re: Left Handed

I don't think anyone produces these anymore. Any of the custom companies could come up with something without too much problem. Call Felix at NYTC.
    Send Brekelfuw a PM. Maybe he could use something like this as a project in his band instrument repair course.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

Bach used to do a left hand option on cornet and trumpet for an additional fee. I don't know if they still do. On of my college teachers had a left handed Bach Strad cornet.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nomojo View Post
    Would it be feasible to approach a manufacture to produce a particular model for a "Lefty" without it costing an arm and a leg? Or would it be too much drama?
    I see it as drama. French Horn is fingered with the left hand, and there are pleny of right-handed hornists. As a left-hander, you'll have an advantage playing the right-handed trumpet in manipulating the first and third valve slides for intonation.

The left-handed trumpets are mainly for people who have lost the use of their right hand/arm.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

I'm left handed and I have no problem playing. I can do alot of things right handed. Pressing valves with my right hand isn't hard. You can do it!!!

Pianissimo User maine trumpeter's Avatar

I'm a lefty also and have no problem. Back years ago 35, in high school one of our lead trumpet players broke her right wrist and played with her left hand, it's more of a mine game than anything else.

Banned Pianissimo User
    outside of Philadelphia

I am a lefty, but playing right handed never bothered me. I regularly play left handed just for fun.
    It wouldn't be hard to stick the pinky ring/hook on the bell instead of the leadpipe. That would be the easiest left handed conversion. Maybe add some sort of thumb rest for your left thumb to sit in on the underside of the bell for comfort.
    I know a trumpet player who is missing his right hand, and he just got Schilke to build him a slightly modified trumpet that he uses all the time.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugler View Post

In the field of technical and symphonic music, yes. In jazz, Wingy Malone stood out as the preeminant left handed trumpeter/cornetist. Jimmy had the advantage of never having the effective use of his right hand, whereas Wingy had to start all over again, learning to play, using his left hand, after his accidental encounter with a street car, where he lost his right arm.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Swansea, South Wales

Hi there!

I play a left handed gold plated Custom Geneva Balanced Trumpet designed by Tim Oldroyd - even though I am right handed. For me it is like playing a flugel.
    Tim's design has the valve block in the same position as the right handed model but the lead pipe and bell are reversed.

I am sure he could do one for you if you asked nicely!
    Kind regards
    Geneva Balanced Bb Trumpet SP /Curry 1HTF
    Geneva Custom Balanced Bb Trumpet GP / Curry 1HTF
    Weril Regium II Flugelhorn Lac / Curry 1HFL
    Weril Regium II Bb Cornet SP/Curry 1HVC
    Reynolds Argenta 44 Bb Trumpet/Curry 1HM
    Conn Connstellation 28A SP/Curry 1HTC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information