Trumpet Discussion Discuss Legit tone on a lead piece in the General forums; I have this on a thread of on TH so I figured I'd put it up over here and see ...

Legit tone on a lead piece

I have this on a thread of on TH so I figured I'd put it up over here and see what TMers have to say!!

I'm playing on a Monette B1-5M and a GR 66Z**

I hate switching mouthpieces!! I hate that I do a majority of my practicing on my legit piece and then expect to have some sort of consistency on my lead piece.

What can I do if anything to get a nice fat sound on the lead piece so I won’t have to switch?

Or am I stuck forever switching never able to play on one piece?
    ---Brian P. Vessey---
    Horn: Calichhio 1s7 Ultra; Large Bore
    Mouthpiece: Out on Safari

Pianissimo User

switching pieces

PROBABLY, you are stuck. A small diameter and/or shallow cup do not lend themselves to "fat" sound. I f you REALLY don't want to change, then go with lead playing on the bigger ("legit") mouthpiece.

Be a MAN!!!

(Admittedly, though, I am not... Bach 1.25C for "legit," Bach 1D for "lead" :wink: )
    Dr. Michael Stewart
    Music Director, Deep Blue Big Band
    www.stewmuse.com

I'm not a crazy Cuban trumpet player named Arturo who can do insane things on a 3C. If I was I guess I would have solved my own problem!!
    ---Brian P. Vessey---
    Horn: Calichhio 1s7 Ultra; Large Bore
    Mouthpiece: Out on Safari

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    I was tempted to not even read this thread. But, barring extreme mpc designs, a well rounded comercial trumpet player can blend well in a legit, or semi legit situation without a ... I hate these terms .. legit mpc.

As long as you are not too far off the beaten path, your concept of the sound you need to have will pretty much get you through the gig.
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com
    Maynard Ferguson BBN Band

Forte User
    Agreed, MPM.........Check out the LA studio guys; find the article from Windplayer magazine which lists the equipment they use. To be a successful "session" musician, you need to be able to change sound and style as necessary. Most of those guys are not "equipment geeks".

Mike

New Friend
    It may be possible to get a "nice fat sound" on a mouthpiece that will allow you to play lead. However, on a bigger mouthpiece you will then be able to get a sound that is even "nicer" and "fatter." A larger cup volume will allow you to produce a more orchestral sound, period. Trying to manipulate to coax an unnatural sound out of a mouthpiece is going to cause problems. Trying to play one mouthpiece with two different approaches is at least as hard as trying to play two mouthpieces.

If you want to avoid switching mouthpieces, you have to either avoid switching styles or find a compromise mouthpiece. There's no way around it. If your concern is consistency between mouthpieces, I think the simplest answer is to practice on both. You might also investigate using mouthpieces with more similar rims than you are currently using. No mouthpiece will give you your fattest sound and your best upper register. Find something in the middle or get used to switching.

Hey all,
    Just my two cents but a great compromise mpc that used to work great for me in (until I switched to Monette pieces, never looked back) switching between legit and commercial/lead was an old school Bach 3C. Shallow enough to play the lead book but also deep enough to blend in the orchestras. It is plaiable enough to emulate dark/rich or bright/pentrating. Again, just my two cents. Keep practicing.

Bear

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    As I said, if you have the concept of the sound you want to get in your head, and you are not at an "extreme" with your mpc, you can do well.
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com
    Maynard Ferguson BBN Band

I am going to offer a more "off the wall" solution. The new Rudy Muck Second Generation mouthpiece. These pieces comes in a fairly small sizes, but are designed to sing with a marvelous tone. I have been very impressed as has my entire section in my local wind ensemble. The tone is in credible, the range terrific, and the cushion rim really helps for the long, hard, lead playing nights.

A Muck 17 would make a great lead piece (near a Bach 11.5 in size) and still allow for legit work. If you would rather "push" a smallish legit mouthpiece, a Muck 19 might be the ticket being between a Bach 2C and 3C in size.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Thread Information