Trumpet Discussion Discuss Life contemplations in the General forums; Hi all, so here I am nearing the end of my music degree. These fours years have been focused on ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Life contemplations

Hi all,

so here I am nearing the end of my music degree. These fours years have been focused on classical playing. But the big problem now is that I love EVERYTHING there is. I want to play in the military because that is what I am used to and I love the studioesque atmosphere. Plus they have been known to play just about everything under the sun (except orchestra pieces). But to do that you must be a really good studio musician. So now that I have my classical "base" I would really like to go on to study some studio playing. (Improv, lead work etc etc etc). Can anyone suggest some people to talk to (in Canada) regarding this matter? I have been in contact with Chase Sanborn and he said that he does teach lessons. I'd like to get one over the summer. Does anyone else know anyone? As well as a good diploma in studio work (in Canada)?

Eric S.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Pianissimo User
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Being a successful studio musician is a combination of (a) being a professional, (b) being able to play anything presented to you, and (c) being known by the studios, producers, and musicians who are hiring you.

Being a professional means you show up on time, are prepared with the right equipment, are warmed up and ready to blow when the baton comes down, and completing your obligations.

Being able to play anything presented to you takes experience, practice, and time. No shortcuts here, so get playing!

Finally, getting known is the tough one, but one way is to take lessons with top players like Chase. If you have the chops, he might help you line up some work. Also, if you have a good agent, then you should have a better chance at getting work.

But, I think the real way to get know is to start playing out and let people hear your stuff. Form a band or join one that plays regularly and that will get you started on all these factors. If one band isn't cutting it, find something better to get exposure. Do volunteer shows and work at getting your name known in the industry. Any local clubs have open mike nights?

Hope this helps. Don't want to discourage you, but it is a tough profession you seek and when they talk about "paying your dues", they don't mean money.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Thread Information