Trumpet Discussion Discuss On-line clinics in the General forums; I just stumbled on this, and thought "Wow! I just had a clinic with Jim Thompson!" Click on the audio ...
    Forte User
    Northern New York

On-line clinics

I just stumbled on this, and thought "Wow! I just had a clinic with Jim Thompson!"

Click on the audio link on the bottom left of the page. There are several topics to choose from in the window that pops up after you select your connection speed. Jim Thompson is down at the bottom. He has three topics. Great stuff!

*Just listened to David Krauss discuss resonance...he then played the opening of the Honneger (sp?) Intrada, 2 ways: 1 pushing air; the second he talks about relaxing and releasing air, rather than pushing. The difference in sound is overwhelming!

Both players (Jim Thompson and David Krauss) talk about singers alot and compare trumpet playing to singing in terms of overtones and tone quality and tone quantity. Very interesting to hear.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Tempe, Arizona

I wrote this overview the first time I went to the Yamaha web site last year. I think it’s appropriate to include it here as well. This was a definite highlight for me last year (after getting only brief notes from players that attended the class) when the rep at Yamaha contacted me and said that all of the classes had been taped and would be included on the web site. Thanks for bringing this up again!

You can pick up dozens, maybe even hundreds of albums with these players, and experience their interpretations of most of the standard literature in the repertoire. These classes at the Yamaha Day of Trumpets give us all that special insight into how they are able to produce the sound that carries easily over the orchestra. The examples that they relate to the audience before they play, are exactly what I was expecting to see in these video clips. I couldn’t have been happier!

I heard David Krauss give a similar presentation at the ITG Conference in Denver. I have never heard a James Thompson master class (although I did hear him do Pines with the ASO many years ago). I’ve never heard Robert Sullivan speak either, and this is a very rare opportunity for me to glimpse his ideas about playing the trumpet.

I like to read, and every chance I get to ask questions of people who have worked with James Thompson, I get very detailed oriented. I can literally see the words that he uses on the page when discussing these topics, because of the many people that I have had conversations with via email (and I like to quote him a lot in the posts that I make here). To see him “live” (probably as close as I’ll ever get to it via these clips) was a real treat for me. I was so pleased to see how his ideas dovetail into those of David Krauss.

He began his class by saying, “What makes a great tone?” Someone in the audience calls out Resonance. Then he says, “where is the right spot for the note” and gives a brief demonstration moving above and below the resonant center of the pitch (you can’t describe this in words as simply as he does in the video clip). He finally arrives at a note that rings and says, “that’s the one I hear in the room. Let’s call that the center”.

I love metaphors, and he pulls out a great one at this point in the talk. He says, “I like Rob MacGregor’s idea. Consider a bobsled in the Olympics. The sled is going right down the shute, not hitting the sides, not scraping up the sled, right down the tube. That’s the sweet spot, we call that the center”.

The center is equivalent to resonance, which equates to maximum overtones.

He then plays an excerpt from Shostakovich Symphony Number 7 that literally made my speakers sizzle with his resonant approach, but when he played the same example from a stance of volume, there was not that same “buzz” in my speakers. He then talked about the quality and resonance of the tone and related this back to an opera singer, cutting through the context of a Wagnerian opera (same metaphor as David Krauss). This is possible through “purity and resonance of tone”.

“Get the resonance and don’t push the volume. The louder you play it just doesn’t work.”

These words tie directly to what David Krauss says in his presentation and are also the words that Marcel Tabuteau uses to describe projection.

These are ideas that we need to achieve the sounds that these players are making everyday in their world class ensembles. To get the first 32 bars of the Honegger Intrada from Krauss as an example of this concept is absolutely fantastic. To hear James Thompson change the color of his C trumpet from something your would hear on a D trumpet (or piccolo) followed immediately by an example of the color of the cornet on the same horn simply by modifying his sound concept, is incredible!

I, for one, couldn’t be more pleased at the playing that is presented on these video clips in combination with some of the best examples to illuminate these all important sound production concepts.

Bravo to Yamaha for sponsoring this Day of Trumpets and then for bringing a small snapshot to all of us who couldn’t attend via these brief video clips. I’m thrilled!
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    I really enjoy these clips. I enjoy hearing new folks talk about important issues. I also enjoy seeing my old teacher (Jim Thompson) sounding great and looking healthy. I was relieved that his 'mantra' has not changed since leaving the orchestra world because it doesn't need changing. He knows where to put those notes and how to get them sounding sweeeeeeeet!

I have also been a fan of Robert Sullivan's playing (since hearing him at the 2000 ITG) and it was great to get a glimpse into his philosophies. One of these days I will make the time to watch them all in one sitting. Even if you've heard this stuff before, sometimes bells and lightbulbs go off with gentle reminders like these.

Thanks for bringing these clips to the fore once again, Glenn.

New York, U.S. of A.
    I enjoy all those clips. I was there, that day. In fact, my ugly head shows up in a couple, LOL... Anyway, I copied them all to DVD and break them out on occasion to reinforce some of the things that 'slide by' over time.
    I wish they'd do another one of those!
    Greg Condemi

Thread Information