Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lip Buzzing help, please in the General forums; I've been having a problem recently. I have been trying to learn how to lip buzz but have had no ...

Lip Buzzing help, please

I've been having a problem recently. I have been trying to learn how to lip buzz but have had no luck. When I asked my teacher he said I was using too much muscle pressure and that the buzz wouldn't come out that way. So I tried to back off the pressure, but that just pushed my aperture wide open. In the end my buzz turns out to be either atonal or very low pitched and unfocused. I don't see what could be wrong.
    "If you're not improving, you're falling behind." - My Trumpet Teacher, Steve
    Bach Strad 37 - Wedge 3C w/ L backbore
    Bach TR300
    Conn Director Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton Trombone - Bach 6-1/2 C

Pianissimo User

Re: Lip Buzzing help, please

Play a second line G or any note you feel comfortable with on the horn. Slowly remove the horn from your lips while still playing your note. Keep tryin till you get it. I think I saw this on Nick Drozdoffs web site.

New Friend
    The O.C., CA

I went through many teachers but the best advice I got was from a fr. horn orchestra director, to blow straight ahead so my air was focus straight through the mouthpiece, into the leadpipe, not up or down.

I decided not to mess with my lips anymore, just to blow straight ahead (w/o mp) then gradually focus my lips to support the air and eventually get a buzz. If I focused the air up or down I started over. When I got the buzz down, I added the mp. If I could buzz mothpiece, remove it and air still went straight ahead, I added horn. After I got the habit set, attacks were consistent, moving between notes no longer scary. Hope this helps.

Halifax, NS CANADA

It's common for trumpet players not being able to buzz without a mouthpiece. Why exactly do you hope to gain from this? (I'm just interested). I do it, sometimes but I don't know why I do. Arnold Jacobs said that it doesn't really accomplish anything and that you need the "pressure" of a mouthpiece or buzzing aid to build the correct muscles that will be used while playing the horn. Stop me if I'm wrong, but buzzing without your mouthpiece could develop muscles that you don't want developed?
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

I would suggest buzzing with just the mouthpiece for a while then attempting the free buzz. There can be some benefits in learning to relax more. There is no mouthpiece pressure to define the edges of what vibrates. 5 min a day max are all that one needs.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information