Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lip help! in the General forums; I bit my inner lip 2 days ago and now the resukting canker sore has appeared. It is Monday and ...

Lip help!

I bit my inner lip 2 days ago and now the resukting canker sore has appeared. It is Monday and I have a gig Saturday. How can I get rid of it fast?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Low Pass Oregon

Re: Lip help!

If it is a canker, then I may have the cure for you. In most drug stores there is a product called Canker Cover. It looks like a pill you put directly on the sore. It's coated with a polymer that bonds with mucus membranes. After a half hour it forms a gel like patch, about the size of a dime and acts as a bandage. It dissolves over 8-12 hours, releases menthol (natural analgesic), mineral salt and citrus oil. It will not only make it feel better for 8-12 hours but will heal the sore, sometimes with only one application. For just inside the lip try breaking them inhalf so its not so bulky. You won't be able to play with it in place,but you will be playing sooner. Most cankers last 9.5 days untreated. Don't waste your time with benzocaine (it's in all the canker products) it does nothing to help heal and numbs your entire mouth. There are also dozens of home remedies that work moderately well.

Hope that helps. If you get some today you could be playing again by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Greensboro, NC

Re: Lip help!

In case it doesn't heal soon enough, you should have a sub on tap just in case. If you can't play well enough to do the job you shouldn't play the job. If you try and play before the lip is healed you could do worst damage.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Thread Information