Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lip Surgery in the General forums; Brek, Check your PMs Best, EC...
    Artist in Residence
    Forte User

Re: Lip Surgery

Check your PMs

Chesapeake, VA

I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm sure you will do fine!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Along with prayers, good wishes, and all that, I would remind you that things will be different, but not necessarily worse after surgery. There is considerable power in positive thinking (here at the Mission we call it faith), and the experience will end up making you a better musician.

All the best!!!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

When my (now 21-mo old) little boy was about 6 months old, he really wanted to try playing papa's trumpet. So I spun it around, showed him how I buzz my lips, and let him have a go. He tried buzzing the mouthpiece, but his little mouth was too small.... So he opened wide, pulled the mouthpiece into his toothless little face, and somehow buzzed his tiny tongue against the inside cup of the mouthpiece.

It worked!! And surprisingly well.

It goes to show, where ther's a will there's a way. Focus on healing and doing what you need to do stay on this planet so you can continue to make beautiful music. If you are forced to modify technique, hardware, or learn a stringed instrument instead, you will still make wonderful music.

Best wishes.

Don't worry about it. There have been articles in the ITG journal about worse situations than you. Do what the doctor says. He is going to tell you to keep ice on it for 24 hours or more after surgery. Do it.

The surgery isn't bad. Some times it is done while you are awake. A shot of lidocain on each side of the upper lip nums the area. It's called a nerve block. Two clamps on each side shuts off the blood circulation. A few shots with the laser or a swip with the knife and it is done. A few stiches and they send you home.

Your big mistake will be trying to play too soon. Don't try to play until you are completely healed. You don't need any more broken blood vessals.

Keep the embouchure you have. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Don't worry, it won't be broke(en).
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Pianissimo User

I'm sure you have the sympathies of everybody in this forum. Most of us don't have much other than our trumpets.
    Best of luck to you, you have my prayers.

Norfolk, VA

Hang in there! I understand how scary this is for you - I recently went through this with my right hand. I had an infection that could have taken my hand or my life (the infection went all the way from my index finger to my upper arm overnight!)- thankfully I had good surgeons, and I escaped with nothing more than a really nasty scar. It takes some time to work yourself back from something like this - be patient, and don't push yourself too hard. Take care of yourself and follow your doctor's orders - you will be yourself again in no time! :) in the meantime, all our thoughts are with you...
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information