Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lips after playing Loudly in the General forums; Bruce Ferden,when music director of our orchestra was good about letting us play as loudly as we wanted at least ...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Lips after playing Loudly

Bruce Ferden,when music director of our orchestra was good about letting us play as loudly as we wanted at least once a concert, and got to play some pieces that really tested our endurance--loud and on the face a long time. Although it was our general custom to drink beer after rehearsals we would start off with a shot of whiskey on those grueling days and feel the burn in our cracked lips. Fun!
    Mark_Kindy likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Gainesville, FL

[QUOTE=Al Innella;598779]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Kindy View Post
    After playing loudly for a period of time, my lips seem dry/somewhat rubbery. Also they feel "hot", like there was much friction.

Is this a bad thing? Or can someone explain why the lips do this? I can only hypothesis that perhaps I need more hydration.

Hi Mark,

Your problem is when marching,you're trying to play too loud instead projecting your sound. When you're blasting away the sound spreads and doesn't carry as far , you will actually sound louder playing with more control and projection then blowing your head off.
    You know, I've heard much about projection over the years, and I've done my best to go towards it. But I've never been quite clear on how to really get there, and no one has had a good answer for me. If you could, please clear this up!

By the way, Rowuk --- My friend actually dropped his trumpet the other day in marching band. It bounced TWICE haha. I still wonder how...
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    Another VERY GOOD POINT. I love the feeling of poofy lips after I play. To me it says I had a great workout with no harm done. Kind of like getting a "runner's high".
    +1 --- I have days when I say -- "my lips feel good", strong but not overtaxed, firm but not swollen, supple but not flacid --- I think at some time when you get in a routine you get used to where your body feels good at, and how much you can push it, and also you learn on bad days -- how to "listen to your body" -- to push hard on good days, and to back it off when those not so good days come around.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information