Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Listening to others in the General forums; Thanks. However, can a dark sounding trumpet still be just as good for jazz/rock style songs as a bright one? ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Listening to others

Thanks. However, can a dark sounding trumpet still be just as good for jazz/rock style songs as a bright one?

I know people say a dark sound for a jazz trumpet can still be as good as a bright one, but in this aspect I can't really picture it.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Your sound is.....well.....your sound. Don't worry about dark and light. There are devices to darken your sound if you wish.
    You want your sound to be the most beautiful sound on the planet whether its dark, bright, white, black, or plaid. Focus on singing through your trumpet. You'll know when you get it right. People that are listening will tear up and when you're finished they will want to talk to you, give you hugs and ask when you'll be back.
    Forget working on dark and bright. Work on singing through your horn.
    If you feel this is easy try this. Take a simple popular melody from ex. Rascal Flatts or Lady Gaga and play the melody and make it work. After you've tried it ask yourself. Did it sound like a clunky old trumpet or did you give yourself goosebumps when you played?
    Just like and education doesn't equal smart, notes and tone does not equal music. Learn how to sing through the horn.

New Friend

You should try to listen to players with darker sounds .

Like Chris Botti, Canadian Brass, Wynton Marsalis at times.
    Any Musicians out there check out "Musicians Note" One of the first forum for musicians to hangout, get help and help others !
    It is indeed a relatively a new forum so we need members to get it going !

Pianissimo User

I've already been told I have a dark sound, but I figured that whether you have a bright or dark sound you would always want to work on pushing it to the extremes. Yet again I am forgetting music production of some technical aspect of playing... Thanks for all the comments. They all help

Depending on how much you listen to , you could be influanced , as I was , listening alot to classical fm station mostly violin , soprano singers , I developed a strong vibrato that I never knew I had untill someone pointed it out to me . It took a while to figure it out but I realy think your sound can be influanced by listening , although you would have to be listening alot like me .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information