Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Listening to others in the General forums; Would it neccessarily be bad for me to be listening to Maynard/Arturo a good bit while trying to work on ...
    Pianissimo User

Listening to others

Would it neccessarily be bad for me to be listening to Maynard/Arturo a good bit while trying to work on getting a darker sound? Would I need to at least balance this out with some music with more of a sound I would want to get?

I know you're supposed to listen to others who have a desireable sound you wish to create yourself.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Re: Listening to others

What you listen to at an early stage in your developement will be what you will tend to emulate. My personal recommendation is to pick artists to listen to that are what you personally wish to sound like.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Provo, UT

Well, obviously you listen to them because you enjoy something about their playing. Take that aspect of their playing and ignore the parts that you don't like. I listen to violinists; they don't have "dark" sounds, but there is so much in their playing to try to emulate.

New Friend

Try Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Miles Davis, Clark Terry, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Eldridge, Blue Mitchell.

Terrence Blanchard, Roy Hargrove, Russell Gunn, Sean Jones, Nick Peyton for newer guys.

And I guess Maynard/Arturo....if you really wanted to....

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Like mchs3d said, listen to everything. It can only broaden your musical insights. There is no harm in listening to something that you are not trying to emulate. If we all did that in all aspects of life, we would hear very little of what goes on in the world. So look, listen, appreciate, wonder, absorb, and then emulate. You will be better for it.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Being able to listen is the greatest virtue that any trumpet player can have.

LISTENING to high energy players does not change your playing any more than looking at the Christmas Goose will make you fat.

I am not convinced that learning to play dark makes any sense at all. Dark is not a virtue. Players with darker sounds generally have to play louder to be heard in ensembles. You just need to work on YOUR sound, whatever that may be. Most of the time criticism about "bright" sound comes when one does not play "elegantly" which comes from not playing enough tunes and exploring the soft side of brass playing.

You develop YOUR sound fastest by finding great sounding rooms to practice in. Playing for 30 minutes in a church or auditorium will do more for your sound than 10 hours in the bedroom. Trumpet sound needs space to develop. Find big nice sounding spaces to practice in!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User
    New Hampshire

As usual, Rowuk gives great advice when he suggests finding a church or auditorium to play in. You may already have a terrific sound which you're unaware of because of the practice space you work in.

What really helps to zero in on a particular sound, dark or light, is to find out what equipment the people play on and then see if you can play on that equipment also without buying it (large music stores which let you try out mouthpieces are wonderful for this). Not that you will sound like they do, but it can sometimes help to lead you further on your search for "your" sound.

But I'm with those who suggest you listen to people who have the sound you want to emulate, and I'd go a bit further and try to find the same music they're playing and try to sound like them while playing the same melody. There are lots of trumpet transcriptions available online so you might even find the exact solos they're playing.

Remember, though, that you should want to sound like you and not like someone else, so whatever you do research-wise, remember that because you're unique you won't sound exactly like anybody else anyway.

I love Wayne's playing, although I don't necessarily want to
    sound like him (at this point). I can listen to him all day-
    I also love Chet Baker's playing, and that's what I want to
    sound like right now. I listen to him almost all the time.
    Have fun,

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Listen to all the Maynard & Arturo you want. I know I do. To get a darker sound, I cheat!
    My sound is bright and reminicent of Maynard, Arturo, Doc, etc... To shut down the brightness a bit I use a RingMute, a simple foam ring that goes on the bell rim.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Rowuk sez:
    Most of the time criticism about "bright" sound comes when one does not play "elegantly" which comes from not playing enough tunes and exploring the soft side of brass playing.
    You forgot playing too damned loud!!!!!
    Without getting into a physics discussion about cavities and standing waves, I think the sound a person makes (once they know how to play), is based on how they are physically built and their first ideas of how a trumpet should sound (for lack of a better term, imprinting).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information