Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss "Live Horns" - Dying !!! in the General forums; On the annual vacation with the extended family which usually takes place on a warm Florida Beach; however, to appease ...
    Pianissimo User

"Live Horns" - Dying !!!

On the annual vacation with the extended family which usually takes place on a warm Florida Beach; however, to appease Mom we did Pigeon Forge, Tennessee this year along with all the "shows" on the main strip. Just as I figured, not one "live" horn player is to be found anywhere. I noticed one colored brochure to one of the shows did have a couple photos of Dan Foster (I think) ... former North Texas Lead Trumpet player.

The one trumpet player and one trombone player actually in the show were obviously faking to a recorded track on the "jazz" portion of the show. Very disappointing to say the least. I informed Mom that the horns are usually the first to get cut and that is what I have observed here ... no "live horns" used in any show.

Russell Dixon
    Yamaha YTR 8340EM Model Professional Bb Trumpet
    Yamaha 631G Professional Model Flugelhorn
    ******************************************* - (launched July 2012)

Re: "Live Horns" - Dying !!!

Well, you were in Tennessee. Them metal contraptions is too dang much money ands hard on the lips! Just beware when you hear "banjo" music. Seriously though, I've heard those gigs are great for players out of college cause they don't "need " the money and many arrangers have Maynard (or someone like him) on their when they write these scores. I know a guy that can't even play the charts he "writes"!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

New Friend

I was also very surprised when we took our first trip to Disney this year and didn't see a live musician (with the exception of a piano player at the ice cream shoppe) in all the shows at the parks (that we attended). I thought for sure I'd see either kids getting their start or Florida retirees playing for fun -- but not a single one. (I miss Opryland of the '80s.)

Quakertown PA

Busch Gardens Williamsburg got rid of their Festhaus Band and replaced it with a (prerecorded instruments) Broadway Fairytale kiddie show.

At least they have real wind and percussion musicians in their show in "Italy".
    Proud owner of a 1960s U.S. Regulation bugle...(original owner)
    ...and a bunch of beat up Olds Ambassador Cornets and Trumpets

It is sad for many of the best players are out of work because of this financial decision.

Twelve years ago, I moved to Branson and at that time there were fifteen trumpet players working full time in the shows. Today there are only two!

Mezzo Forte User

Dubbed music and Ipad culture, cell phone texting etc... are reducing the attention spans of the masses so that they can't comprehend live music. If they don't hear in binary they seem distraught.

Sad but true.
    tobylou8 and Phil986 like this.

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

We need to take back our culture!

San Pedro

I think they worry about "missing something" .... just think of all the text and fb post you would miss if you spent 3 hours practicing.. or studying ...
    I heard radio talk show guy the other day talking about how money spent on band programs is a waste .. his line " oh yeah, I am going to take that baritone out of my closet sometime soon" ....
    there is something wrong here
    Phil986 and bamajazzlady like this.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

I have had 5 gigs in the last two weeks. All are/were rock music/top 40 with live horns added.
    People want it and like it, you just have to show them that it exists. They forget how much better live music sounds because recorded music is shoved down their throats 24/7
    tobylou8 and coolerdave like this.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by coolerdave View Post
    I heard radio talk show guy the other day talking about how money spent on band programs is a waste .. his line " oh yeah, I am going to take that baritone out of my closet sometime soon" ....
    there is something wrong here
    There IS something wrong here, and you bring up a great point coolerdave. We have a lot of comeback players here. Just ran into one at our High School Band Alumni Concert this weekend. He was telling me the worse thing he ever did was sell of his trumpets many years ago. I asked him what he was playing now? He answered a rented Bach; picked it up three weeks ago, just so he could get back in shape to play this Alumni Concert. He's loving it! I told him to buy the Bach, log on to TM and read comments from all the comebackers here to stay motivated.

So now I cut to the heart of my comment... for all those football playes out there that hung up their gear in the closet for 30-40 years... put them on, join a semi-pro leage and have at it!

Yeah Right!

Live horns never really die, they just mature!
    coolerdave likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information