Trumpet Discussion Discuss Long Tones in the General forums; Hello, When people say long tones, I'm curious what we mean (this is similar but hopefully less controversial than the ...
    Bostonish & San Francisco

Long Tones

When people say long tones, I'm curious what we mean (this is similar but hopefully less controversial than the what names are the notes thread)
    I know what I mean when I talk about long tones: repeating a note 3 times with a fermata on the last

What do all of yall mean when you say long tones?
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Re: Long Tones

The term means a tone held as long as possible without taking a breath or cutting the tone off before the breath is completely exhausted. The object being to slowly increase the lung capacity and to learn to sustain an extended fermata. If played extremely softly it will build lip muscle and tone control.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Pianissimo User

when I say long tones I mean big breath holding a note for as long as I can in one breath without going out of tune.

Greensboro, NC

holding a note for a long time. a long tone exercise can be a simple as playing a C scale in whole notes or as advanced as a Schlossberg exercise.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Longtones for me are inhale and exhale through the horn until my air is gone.

The purpose is to give my chops, ears and brain time to analyse what is going on and store patterns for later use. It also gives me time to sort out body tension issues that impede my concept of relaxing into playing the trumpet. They are one of the single most critical concepts in my teaching! I have never had a player with decent long tones let me down in other areas. I know plenty of working players that cannot relax and play them well. They are missing an important part of being a trumpet player!!!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

Long tones should be played softly with an even steady sound, as for how long that depends on you ,try to increase the duration each day. Playing long tones starting at a ppp volume gradually crescendo to mf or f then decrescendo back to a ppp, is another thing to practice once you can do the first set of even long tones without wavering, again the pitch should be steady, a little harder way is to start at f then decrescendo to ppp then back to f keeping the tone steady.

Indianapolis, Indiana

T101 - Two of the most valved qualifications possessed by a successful trumpet player are: flexibility or elasticity of the lips and the ability to support a free-flowing, sonorous tone with the breath in all registers. It is through the development of these qualities only that endurance (the ability to play for long periods of time without undue fatigue), and a pleasing, musical sound may be achieved. There are absolutely no shortcuts to flexiblity and endurance. These qualities can be achieved only through diligent, daily, concentrated practice starting with Long Tones (upper and lower register) and lip slurs. I also recommend a "warm-down" at the end of the practice session of 3 minutes of Long Tones. Just like athletes do after a hard workout.
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Thread Information